Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2011, 11:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Experience with Allure & Allure Ultra?

I am researching putting either Allure resilient flooring, or the more expensive Ultra line in a seasonal cabin. Halstead (the manufacturer) told me that they don't recommend installing it (either of the two) where it is not lived in year around (read: heated) My location may get down to the low 30's a few times in the winter, it is at 4000 ft in Northern CA. I don't really want to leave the heat on, while not there for weeks at a time. Also, there are frequent power outages in the winter, so the forced air heating would be unreliable.
My question: Has anyone else installed in a similar environment, and have some experience good or bad. I'm not sure what Halstead means when they don't "recommend". Are the just covering their a__, or will it certainly fail (buckle, separate, etc.). This is not an extreme climate, it never gets down into the teens. I am on a wood subfloor, not on concrete. Thanks

Last edited by leftoutdoors; 10-18-2011 at 11:09 PM. Reason: added information
leftoutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:18 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,134

OH GOOD! Another Allure thread has emerged.

There is a lot of information here (a lot) on this website about that product. Do a search here and see what comes up.

I am curious however...
You don't believe what the maker of the product tells you so you come to the Internet to ask the opinions of a Do-It-Yourselfers?

Having trouble rationalizing that move.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:38 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10
Wink

When I asked about the "unheated periods" in the cabin, the Halstead tech didn't ask how cold it could get, or if I was on a concrete slab, or if it was a high humidity region, etc. So, I wondered if it was a case where they wouldn't recommend unless it was "ideally perfect" conditions, to protect their warranty
leftoutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:59 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,134

Quote:
When I asked about the "unheated periods" in the cabin, the Halstead tech didn't ask how cold it could get, or if I was on a concrete slab, or if it was a high humidity region, etc. So, I wondered if it was a case where they wouldn't recommend unless it was "ideally perfect" conditions, to protect their warranty
That would be prudent on their part. Very few in-home products such as floor coverings don't survive well in un-conditioned space sometimes. Your area may be an exception considering the mild weather there year round. Doesn't hardly compare to the Yukon.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote