Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2009, 06:49 PM   #1

Share |

expansion gaps and doorways?

Hello, I'm going to have about 25 feet wide of hardwood flooring that is going to end at an exterior doorway. I know about leaving expansion gaps at the walls but how does this work at a doorway? Is there a space where the flooring can expand-it looks like the flooring will just but right up to the threshold and I am worried about this but maybe it is designed so the flooring can go under the threshold? House was built in 1993. many thanks as always
adjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:36 PM   #2

You need to leave an expansion space there as well. You should be able to put a piece of trim to match the flooring and secure it to the threshold on the door. I have also set the door on top and run the flooring underneath. Part of this depends on what the threshold looks like and whether you have an inswing or outswing.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:43 AM   #3

Which direction are you running your flooring? If it's running the length of the hall way, there is no reason to leave room for expansion. Wood does not expand over it's length, just it's width.
pinwheel45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:55 AM   #4

Although wood does not expand as much parallel to the grain and it does perpendicular to the grain it still expands this way too. You would also negate the ability of the wood to move perpendicularly if you did not allow a space on the end grain.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros bros. View Post
Although wood does not expand as much parallel to the grain and it does perpendicular to the grain it still expands this way too. You would also negate the ability of the wood to move perpendicularly if you did not allow a space on the end grain.
I been installing floors since 95 & have been professionally working wood for over 25 years. Wood doesn't expand enough over it's length to worry about expansion.
pinwheel45 is offline   Reply With Quote