Expansion Gap Too Wide - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2009, 10:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 33

Expansion gap too wide

I'm putting in new wood flooring, and, even though I tried to measure as perfectly as I could, the expansion gap on one wall is too wide. It's the wall where each row of planks ends, and the gap is 3/4" to 1" in places, and not uniform. The baseboard we bought is just narrow enough to not cover any of the gap.

I don't really want to use quarter-round (I'm not a fan of built-up moldings), so I'm wondering if there's another way to deal with it. The idea I had was that maybe I could cut slivers of my scrap flooring (~1/2") and stick them at the ends. Since it would be at the very edge of the floor, I'm hoping it wouldn't be that noticeable (less noticeable anyway than having a space between the floor and baseboard).

Any thoughts? Any other ideas? Also, if I do this, how should I secure these pieces? Wood glue against the existing flooring pieces, or just stick them in there loosely? Or do you think quarter-round is my only option?

Advertisement

preciouschristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Expansion gap too wide

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciouschristy View Post
I'm putting in new wood flooring, and, even though I tried to measure as perfectly as I could, the expansion gap on one wall is too wide. It's the wall where each row of planks ends, and the gap is 3/4" to 1" in places, and not uniform. The baseboard we bought is just narrow enough to not cover any of the gap.

I don't really want to use quarter-round (I'm not a fan of built-up moldings), so I'm wondering if there's another way to deal with it. The idea I had was that maybe I could cut slivers of my scrap flooring (~1/2") and stick them at the ends. Since it would be at the very edge of the floor, I'm hoping it wouldn't be that noticeable (less noticeable anyway than having a space between the floor and baseboard).

Any thoughts? Any other ideas? Also, if I do this, how should I secure these pieces? Wood glue against the existing flooring pieces, or just stick them in there loosely? Or do you think quarter-round is my only option?
this is an easy fix.
Just pass some lengths on a table saw with a guide set for the proper width req'd, don't forget to leave some gap 1/4" min.,
then use a good wood glue (or PL premium) & brad nails to hold it in place while it sets. The baseboard can then be installed without a quarter round.

I agree, I don't like the look of built up mouldings, so there aren't any quarter rounds on my baseboards.

Good luck,

Advertisement

Old 08-12-2009, 05:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Expansion gap too wide

I don't understand the aversion to using a base shoe. That's the way true craftsmen have been finishing homes for over a century when hardwood is used.
pinwheel45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:28 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Expansion gap too wide

I'd do the spacer behind the baseboard
Then trim on top of the baseboard to make it look better
I've never liked the look of quarter round at the bottom of the baseboard
In one room I used quarter round only as baseboard trim
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote