Expansion Gap Question About Of Engineered Bamboo Floor - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-02-2013, 12:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Expansion Gap Question about of Engineered Bamboo Floor

This will be my first time installing floor. The flooring I am using is:

http://www.lumberliquidators.com/ll/...AMSTA/10024089.

I will be floating the floor on my concrete slab. My house has a open floor plan, and I will be installing the flooring from my dining room to my main hall wall. I will install expansion gaps on the perimeter and cover them with quarter round to my baseboard.

The longest run is 37ft. Will I need to add an expansion gab to break up the run? (I prefer not to)

Advertisement

geigerra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 614

Attached Thumbnails
Expansion Gap Question about of Engineered Bamboo Floor-expansion.jpg  

Advertisement

SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SPS-1 For This Useful Post:
Jim McClain (09-02-2013)
Old 09-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,238

Thanks you SPS 1, That's the paragraph I was gonna copy and paste. A little easier to read;

Quote:
Originally Posted by instructions
(Floating installation) Expansion breaks allow normal floor movement independent of other connected rooms. Any room or connected areas greater than 30’ feet in any direction must have expansion breaks placed into the flooring
adjoining rooms, connections in hallways and at all doorways. Failure to meet these requirements can result in the floor buckling, separating or gapping.
Also note that 1/2" thick wood requires 1/2" wide perimeter expansion joints;

Quote:
Originally Posted by instructions
A minimum expansion space must be provided around the perimeter of the room and any fixed objects such as pipes, columns and walls. The expansion gap or space is usually the same size as the thickness of the new flooring (1⁄2” flooring = 1⁄2” gap) Door jambs and casings must be undercut to allow flooring to side under without binding the floor.
Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:59 AM   #4

Thanks for your help. I just received my flooring. With the flooring having a bad smell of Formaldyde and needing time to acclimate. I decided to remove all the boards and stack them in a spare room. Do you see any issues with having them stacked like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Expansion Gap Question about of Engineered Bamboo Floor-image.jpg  
Old 09-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #5
Tileguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by geigerra
Do you see any issues with having them stacked like this?
Assuming this floor is also concrete, yes, you should not stack them like that. Should be off the floor and some space between the stacks too.

If they acclimate for a week or so, may not matter much. Is the slab dry? How dry? How's the terrain around the home? Where are you located?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #6

Im located in Houston Area. The boards are on a carpet floor. The floor is level and smooth. The humidity of the house is controlled by AC. The Temperature ranges from 70 to 78 in my home. The room is well ventilated and the blinds are closed. The boards are stacked the same way it was in the box. It is stacked 4 boxes high.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:32 PM   #7
Tileguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by geigerra
The boards are on a carpet floor.
Doesn't matter much, there's concrete under the carpet and soil under the slab.

Usually the instructions ask that you elevate off the floor so there's airflow under and around the planks. However they'll stabilize regardless, it just takes a little longer.

Have you taken any moisture content reading of the floor or the bamboo? I think if it was stored correctly and you keep it in a conditioned space for a week, you'll be good.

Jaz

Advertisement