Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-26-2007, 03:06 PM   #1

Share |

existing marble floor installation

Hi,

We recently moved into a house that has a marble floor foyer. The tile seems to be installed pretty well, no cracks in tile or grout and its pretty level.

However, the installer "butted" the tile up to the door casing for the front door, powder room door and garage door, instead of cutting the casing and putting the tile "under" the casing.

This has left some gaps near the casings and the tile. At this point, I dont want to do the whole job over, I just want to improve the appearance.

Can I fill these gaps with grout or caulking? What do you recommend?

Fog80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 03:19 PM   #2
They're all fixer-uppers

Probably grout would look the best I think . Matching grout is no easy task however. Grout fades and if it wasnt' sealed it can be stained etc. I'm sure others will weigh in with other suggestions, but you could always regrout the floor and fill the gaps at the same time.

Are the gaps to the sides of the casings, like between the casing edge and the baseboards? IF so, a quarter round molding should work too.

J187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 03:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by J187 View Post
Probably grout would look the best I think . Matching grout is no easy task however. Grout fades and if it wasnt' sealed it can be stained etc. I'm sure others will weigh in with other suggestions, but you could always regrout the floor and fill the gaps at the same time.

Are the gaps to the sides of the casings, like between the casing edge and the baseboards? IF so, a quarter round molding should work too.
Unfortunately the door casing are sort of rounded and there are these little gaps all around that should have been tile if the installer would have cut the casing.

I'm not sure if I want to redo the whole thing, the space between each tile is pretty small. I will probably try to match up the grout and fill in the gaps. It should at least look better than having nothing in the gap at all.

Also, I was thinking about replacing the baseboards and quarter rounds too. Is there a baseboard out there that is a "combo" of both, so that I dont have to put baseboard in and then quarter round. I would like to get it done in one piece if possible.
Fog80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 03:54 PM   #4
zel

Send a message via AIM to zel

Could you replace the casing with something thicker to cover the top of the marble?
zel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 04:08 PM   #5
They're all fixer-uppers

I've never actualy seen molding w/ a shoe already on there, but it may exist. Its really not a huge project to add it afterwards, and depending on your molding it may look better.
J187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 07:45 PM   #6

Caulk it, grout will crack there.

R&D Tile is offline   Reply With Quote