Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-12-2010, 04:53 PM   #1

Share |

Existing Ceramic Tile Entry Way

Good Day,
Just bought a house that has an existing exterior ceramic tile entry way. As you can guess with the grout there is some water seepage into the subarea. We would like to waterproof the existing ceramic tile without having to rip it up and redo the entire entry way.

Any suggestions. I have seen lots of membranes to use while building, but nothing to use to existing tile entrys.

Thanks,
toddack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:35 PM   #2
DIY staff

There is no way I know of to make the tile itself waterproof.--Even the best grouts allow water to penetrate.

Live with it or start at the bottom and re do it---Those are the choices---Good luck--Mike--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:40 PM   #3
Tileguy

Sealers won't have much if any effect on ceramic tiles. sealers however can slightly improve grouts but they won't waterproof the grout.

What exactly is the problem to begin with? Why is moisture getting to the substrate an issue for you?
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:59 PM   #4

Bud, thanks for the information...

We are in contract with a house to buy and there is a 10x5 entryway (at most) that has a wrought iron hand rail on the one side and the stucco house/fire place on the other... The entry way is a ceramic tile...

It is built on a wood frame underneath... The inspector/termite inspections found previous damage and there has been previous repairs to the wood frame underneath... The problem is, I think and talking to the home inspector him too, that the problem will come back in a number of years with the same issues....

According to the home inspector, the leakage occured primarily around the fireplace, but also through the grout...

I don't want to have to deal with this problem in the future... Any thoughts on what can be done... Of course redoing the entire thing with the proper waterproof membrane, drainage, etc.. But that would cost 25K+ possibly... If it was only 5-7K, not as much of an issue...
toddack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:47 PM   #5
Tileguy

Quote:
It is built on a wood frame underneath...
OK, There ya go! I was imagining since it was outside that it had a concrete substrate.

If there is existing damage down below there will be no way to change that or to stop the moisture invasion from continuing that I know of. Obviously you have discovered there are better ways to construct such a thing. Membranes and such are available to do it correctly.

I can't see any way this could cost 25K.

Not being able to see it I penciled out about $5500. Maybe I'm not understanding the scope required.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:51 PM   #6
Tileguy

The only possibility I can conjure is to remove the existing grout and feed some penetrating wood sealer into the depths. Then re-grout with epoxy grout. This would hopefully delay the inevitable.