Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 152

Etching Concrete Floor

Hi,

I'm finishing a basement floor with "Hard Rock" epoxy. The room is a grooming shop and the epoxy floor will stand up to moisture and dog's nails etc for a long time.

I do have to etch the floor though as it is very smooth. I don't want to use chemical since it will be hard to rinse and there are finished walls in the room. What are my other options? Stiff wire brush? Nails through a piece of wood? Coarse sandpaper?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

pete0403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:36 PM   #2
Architectural Sculptor

Rewards Points: 500

Etching Concrete Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete0403 View Post
Hi,

and the epoxy floor will stand up to moisture and dog's nails etc for a long time.
Well... you'd like to HOPE it does anyway, I'm not fan of epoxy paints and the like, epoxy is an adhesive, it's also brittle. I know years ago I used an epoxy paint on an old pickup truck I repainted, the stuff became dull pretty quick and chalky, I was far less than impressed.
I know a vet's office Ive been to seem to have a rubberized floor, you had the impression you could just hose it all down to a floor drain in the middle, it was nice stuff. I bet it came in a roll and was glued down but beyond that I have no idea about it, seems a lot better than epoxy paint.

RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #3

Etching Concrete Floor

Thanks for the comments.

There's no drain in the room as this is the upper basement of a split-level. We were worried that a rubberized floor would be hard to sweep and clean...also wear excessively around the grooming table and bathroom.

Open to all suggestions though. One other possibility is vinyl...glued sparingly so it could be replaced easier.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:24 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,364

Etching Concrete Floor

The best way would be to tile it with porcelain or ceramic tile directly to the slab.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:51 AM   #5

Etching Concrete Floor

Thanks guys...

...how could I go about etching the floor without chemicals?
Old 07-08-2013, 08:02 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Etching Concrete Floor

You might want to look into the 'Diamabrush' setup, that runs off a 175rpm swing machine. Am not 100% sure of myself here, but if that setup can remove paint etc from floors, I am pretty sure it can etch it too.

“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote