Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-14-2011, 11:36 AM   #1

Share |

Epoxy Grouts?

Anyone recommend a brand of epoxy grout they've had good success with? I've heard the SpectraLock Pro by Laticrete is a great product, an easier to install than previous formulations.

Home Depot carries a brand called Custom Building Products, and Lowes carries the regular SpectraLock. Or a tile warehouse has the SpectraLock pro.

Anyone ever try these or recommend them, or a different one?

HandyFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:38 AM   #2
DIY staff

Epoxy Grouts?

I use a lot of SpectraLock--(regular and Pro) what do you need to know?

Old 12-14-2011, 11:48 AM   #3

Epoxy Grouts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
I use a lot of SpectraLock--(regular and Pro) what do you need to know?
Was just curious which is a good choice (Spectralock/Laticrete Brand, or some other brand). I've read some horror stories about it not working well online, but my brother used the regular Spectralock I think, and absolutely loves it. He said it was murder to install and took lots of time, but after 2 years it still looks brand new.

Should I go with the SpectraLock Pro? I called and spoke to the rep and they said it applies easier, with other benefits but either is fine.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:24 PM   #4
DIY staff

Epoxy Grouts?

I know Spectra Lock is good--so I will stick with that---It is a learning curve knowing when it has set up enough to start the wipe down--

I have found that having some micro-fiber clothes for the last wipe is very helpful---

I've used cases and cases of it in recent years---I do hate the stuff,but the finished results are very good,---Mike---
Old 12-14-2011, 12:29 PM   #5

Epoxy Grouts?

Quote:
I know Spectra Lock is good--so I will stick with that---It is a learning curve knowing when it has set up enough to start the wipe down--

I have found that having some micro-fiber clothes for the last wipe is very helpful---

I've used cases and cases of it in recent years---I do hate the stuff,but the finished results are very good,---Mike---
Thanks Mike,
Another question, I've heard that it might not be ideal on polished marble. I have a crema marfil polished marble tile. Think I will have issues with it scratching, or the clean up solution causing problems with the polished finish?
Old 12-14-2011, 01:26 PM   #6
Tileguy

Epoxy Grouts?

First of all...
1. How much tile are you grouting and where is this tile?
2. Why does it have to be epoxy grout, any reason?
3. What experience do you have with tile and grout?
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:43 PM   #7
DIY staff

Epoxy Grouts?

I would not recommend epoxy on marble for a novice---It can react with the wrong sealer --and the benefits of epoxy are lost when the stone itself can stain so easily---

Best to stick with a quality unsanded grout---I will no longer use the epoxy on natural polished stone.

I had an expensive problem once --so never again for me.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:43 PM   #8

Epoxy Grouts?

Quote:
I would not recommend epoxy on marble for a novice---It can react with the wrong sealer --and the benefits of epoxy are lost when the stone itself can stain so easily---

Best to stick with a quality unsanded grout---I will no longer use the epoxy on natural polished stone.

I had an expensive problem once --so never again for me.
Thanks for the insight. I called SpectraLock and they said it should be fine, just that the grout component is sanded so you have to be careful with that part of it. Guess i'll ask my tile guy what he thinks overall and if unsanded is what he recommends too then i'll stick to that. He was happy to do the epoxy just said it is a lot more work to install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
First of all...
1. How much tile are you grouting and where is this tile?
2. Why does it have to be epoxy grout, any reason?
3. What experience do you have with tile and grout?
It is a tile bathroom with tile on the shower walls, ceiling, and tile on the room walls up to the chair rail.

Reason for epoxy grout? So I don't have to worry about it getting dingy over the years, the epoxy grout stays nice for a long time.

I'm not the one grouting it, a tile guy is. He just doesn't use it a lot on jobs unless it is requested and most people don't ask for it.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:03 PM   #9
DIY staff

Epoxy Grouts?

I thought you mentioned natural stone--sorry---

See if this installer has really used it before---I have to charge a substantial fee for the product and the installation--

If the grout work is not done correctly the entire job needs to be done over--tile and all---for that kind of risk I charge extra---If he will install epoxy without charging extra for his risk---I would suspect that he has never used it.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:10 PM   #10
Tileguy

Epoxy Grouts?

I don't think I would ever use full-blown epoxy grout on a polished stone for any reason. Once the tile's factory finish is ruined by chemicals clinging to the surface it would be very costly to get it fixed. Epoxy grouts are still very different to work with and they possess a learning curve that should be exercised on ceramic tile first, certainly not a highly polished stone tile.

I'll also say this: In all my years of using both sanded and unsanded grouts on highly polished marble I have never once scratched a piece of marble tile doing so.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:10 PM   #11
Tileguy

Epoxy Grouts?

Mike isn't marble a natural stone?
Old 12-14-2011, 03:11 PM   #12

Epoxy Grouts?

Quote:
I thought you mentioned natural stone--sorry---

See if this installer has really used it before---I have to charge a substantial fee for the product and the installation--

If the grout work is not done correctly the entire job needs to be done over--tile and all---for that kind of risk I charge extra---If he will install epoxy without charging extra for his risk---I would suspect that he has never used it.
The tile guy is my best friend, so he'll do whatever I'd like He said he has done the epoxy, just isn't requested a lot. Also said he's used this 1-part that you add to any grout that supposed to act similar to the epoxy without as much work or durability.

I'm basically shopping the options out there right now. My brother used Epoxy grout with a similar porcelain tile I have on my walls and absolutely loves its durability, said it looks brand new and never has mold or anything on it. The difference is that I have porcelain AND marble going on so i'm trying to figure out if I should go with the epoxy, use that 1 part additive, or just go plain jane grout. Was looking to spend more now with hopes of saving time of re-grouting in the future.

Last edited by HandyFrank; 12-14-2011 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:12 PM   #13
Tileguy

Epoxy Grouts?

Quote:
Also said he's used this 1-part that you add to any grout that supposed to act similar to the epoxy without as much work or durability.
"Grout Boost" ?
Old 12-14-2011, 03:14 PM   #14

Epoxy Grouts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
"Grout Boost" ?
Bud, not sure, he is going to get a name for me so I can google it. He used it on his own bathroom but said he sort of wished he used epoxy, but he did ceramic.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:19 PM   #15
DIY staff

Epoxy Grouts?

I'm confused---I thought 'stone' then he said tile---I've said my peace any way--no epoxy on natural stone for me---