Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-23-2013, 04:26 PM   #1

Share |

Epoxy Floor Questions

Just returned from the Miami Beach Home Show. Pretty weak lineup of folks. I did see a couple guys selling epoxy floors. These are not just coatings over concrete, this is a coating approx 1/16" to 1/8" with design elements in them. Wish I had a website link to post but I don't right now.

I'm the guy with the ceramic tile over hardwood floor. So I know I need to remove the tile first. As long as the HW is in good condition, one of the guys said he could go over the hardwood. I'm wondering if he is just trying to get work or if it would be durable. I like the idea of the floor. Just wondering about durability and if it could indeed go over HW.

Anybody have any experience with this product?

Thanks in advance.

CosmicMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:00 PM   #2

Epoxy Floor Questions

Never seen it but due to the wood flexing and expanding and contracting, I'd want it in writing with a money back plus labor warrenty.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #3
JOATMON

Epoxy Floor Questions

I have never heard of that being done.....not to say that it wouldn't work....but.....one thing I'm sure of....if the hw is not perfect, all the defects in the surface will show up....

I know DIY frowns on links to other sites......but....the below link takes you to a flooring section of a web site that is JUST about garages....read through some of the posts the guys have about epoxy floors....then decide if you really want to go that way....

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/f...splay.php?f=20

On a side note....I think it would border on having that 'trailer trash' look.....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:20 PM   #4

Epoxy Floor Questions

When finished, these look like a stained concrete finish with a sheen. If you can imagine a nice, new, shiny terrazo floor, that's what they look like. I was a little suspect when he said no problems over HW.

I once had an adhesive guy tell me that he can glue anything to anything. The problem is when temp changes, different products expand and contract at different rates and that's when the adhesive fails.

When I get home I will pull out the brochures and see if there is a link to this product.
CosmicMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #5
JOATMON

Epoxy Floor Questions

I think you have the right attitude and approach.....research.....I'm sure it looks good...but unless the stuff is really flexible...I can't see it being used on HW over a crawlspace.....now, if the HW was on top of concrete...then it might work better.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:19 PM   #6

Epoxy Floor Questions

Some of the things they are doing with epoxy floors these days are really outstanding. It's not just the typical old garage stuff with multi-color flakes anymore.
I've seen it done over tile and linoleum, but not over HW. I would also be concerned about expansion/contraction. Definitely ask for something in writing, and ask to see an example too.
dftc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #7

Epoxy Floor Questions

Give Fred a call at (408)692-5742 if anyone can tell you if this is possible he can. Fred is the exclusive distributor for Wolverine coatings DIY division and these guys make coatings for just about everything you can think of. I just order the material to do my garage from Fred, after researching coatings for several weeks.

Earl

retfr8flyr is offline   Reply With Quote