Epoxy Coat And Resurfacing Concrete Cure Time Questions ?? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2008, 01:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

epoxy coat and resurfacing concrete cure time questions ??

Hi,

I'm planning to coat my garage floor with 2 layer of epoxy paint. I'm
wondering if it is "bad" or not recommended to use 2 different brand for the
2 coats ??

The 2 product I'm thinking are : Behr and Rustoleum

Behr 2 part epoxy paint

Rust-Oleum EPOXYShield Garage

My other question is about concrete cure time. I'm planing to put a thin
layer (1-2 mm) of resurfacing mortar on the damage area of my garage
floor before painting it.
Do I have to wait for 30 days for the layer to cure as recommended by
both paint manufacturer ?? ( I thought the 30 days is for the brand new
concrete and not for thin layer of resurfacing concrete ?)

Thanks for the information!

Advertisement

waltereo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:27 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

never having used either product yet having extensive experience w/various epoxies, i'll only address a few points: 1, its more important you invest time into prep than any other part of the method; 2, be forewarned many have eventually complained about hot tire pickup; & 3, while our mtls can be driven on w/i 24hrs, you're advised to stay off 7 days.

btw, paint is never to be applied to conc,,, of course you can apply 2 brands yet either'll ignore any claim you may have citing incompatibility.

despite several test periods, no one really knows when conc 'cures',,, resurfacing mortar IS conc, perhaps even polymer-modified,,, curing refers to moisture & strength index,,, again, your larger issue'll be prep to ensure adherence,,, we resurface & continue w/i 12hrs yet i'm not certain you'd even have access to these products,,, certainly apron stores don't stock 'em but they are avail at most pro const supply houses.

in short, the paint dept signs make it look easy,,, do NOT feign shock or surprise to discover the signs lie,,, yet, w/proper care & attn to detain, you can achieve satisfactory results,,, after all, even a broken clock's right 2x a day, no ? the trouble building idiot-proof computers is that we continually introduce new strains of idiots nothing's as easy as it looks on signs & experience is difficult to gain from brochures, websites, & labels.

ps - we don't acid-etch prior to epoxies.

Advertisement

yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:53 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesitsconcrete View Post
never having used either product yet having extensive experience w/various epoxies, i'll only address a few points: 1, its more important you invest time into prep than any other part of the method; 2, be forewarned many have eventually complained about hot tire pickup; & 3, while our mtls can be driven on w/i 24hrs, you're advised to stay off 7 days.
Yes prep is important, so far for prep

1. DONE I vaccumed once, brushed with TSP, water clean with hose during 15 min.

2. DONE: I repaired the crack the crack on the floor by first grinding them, then use concrete to fill them. I prepare the concrete with concrete bond instead of water and it is rock solid. Even around the crack, I use a brush to apply a very thin layer of bonding agent.

3. DONE : Then I grind the extra concrete of the crack to even it with the floor

4. DONE(PARTIALLY) : Manually grind (with a portative grinder)the area of the floor that seems to be weak and totaly contaminated with grease/oil etc....

5. NOT DONE YET: washed the whole garage with a Pressure Washer to remove the thin dust.

6. NOT DONE YET : let it dry 2 days

7. NOT DONE YET : apply 1 first coat of Behr 2 Part epoxy paint

Behr 2 part epoxy paint

8. NOT DONE YET: Wait 24 h and then apply a 2nd coat of epoxy paint

Rust-Oleum EPOXYShield Garage

9. NOT DONE YET: Let the paint dry at least 7 days

Quote:
btw, paint is never to be applied to conc,,, of course you can apply 2 brands yet either'll ignore any claim you may have citing incompatibility.
What to you mean paint is not apply to concrete ?? At every place/book/forum I've read it is not an issue to apply garage floor paint .. ??

Quote:
esurfacing mortar IS conc, perhaps even polymer-modified,,, curing refers to moisture & strength index,,,
So what is the cure time of thin layer of 1-2mm of concrete before I can apply the epoxy coat ?

Quote:
ps - we don't acid-etch prior to epoxies.
Please explain since on the epoxy coat user manually they mention about acid etch with TSP or muriatic acid and THEN fully wash.

Thanks for your advice !

Last edited by waltereo; 10-04-2008 at 10:59 AM.
waltereo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:43 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

staining my own driveway throat today so won't be avail all that much,,, you're not applying a 'paint' but a coating,,, prep's similar, tho - its just words're defined differently to pro's,,, we clean w/tsp, rotary buffer, brush, & black pad for acid stains - diamond dry grind w/vac for coating residential garages, etc,,, no moisture at all to delay the work.

might want to consider a moisture test to be certain your floor's a good candidate for this coating

you should be good in a couple days for the crk patch.

back to my honey-dew list
yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote