DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Epic Battle - Linoleum Squares on Concrete Subfloor

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  HandymanCA 
#1 ·
What is the best method of attack. I have read somewhere you can tile over the flooring, but I do not feel the mortar will take on the linoleum compared to the concrete. Also, I am thinking of what chemicals to use to strip the floor - older house so may have asbestos, so I might have to do the moon suit operation.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
First you need to find a loose tile and see what color the glue is---

If it is black --that is 'cut back'--and needs a different treatment than a clear glue would---

No solvent will be used---solvents soak into the slab and make the floor almost impossible to bond to---

Some adhesives can be covered with thinset---some need to be encapsulated with self leveling compound-----

What color glue do you have?

#6 ·
Also, how old are the tiles? is there any chance of asbestos?

I think the old 9"x9" tiles were the ones with asbestos.
Size the tiles were cut to has nothing to do with what's in them. The age of the tiles will be a better indication to determine if they're vinyl asbestos (vat) or vinyl composition. (vct) Then there's asphalt, which are the real old type.

Those look like 9x9 vat from here. Tell us about the adhesive, when the tiles were made/installed, size and thickness. You can have the tiles tested for asbestos. I think it's a waste of time cuz you're not gonna sand and grind them, but many people would want to know.

Jaz

#7 ·
They are on a concrete slab, they've been there 28+ years since I was a kid in my mom's house. Also, they are really thin it pretty much makes concrete look nice. I will be over there this weekend, so I can pull some off and take a look and get some better pics.

Where can I take them to be tested for asbestos?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.