DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Flooring (http://www.diychatroom.com/f5/)
-   -   Engineered wood outside? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f5/engineered-wood-outside-9859/)

jkrodger 07-13-2007 12:42 PM

Engineered wood outside?
 
My husband and I were thinking about doing a nice poured concrete floor on our front porch but think we might like the look of wood better. Anyone know how engineered wood would handle outside in the Midwest?

Bud Cline 07-13-2007 05:21 PM

Try thinking of something else - that idea won't work.:(

How about a nice porcelain tile?

SecretSquirrel 07-13-2007 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkrodger (Post 52802)
Anyone know how engineered wood would handle outside in the Midwest?

Engineered wood flooring, or any other conventional wood flooring for that matter, is not suitable for exterior use. If you insist on wood, a couple of options are; cedar, pressure treated pine, or ipe (prounounced epay). It would still need to be constructed in deck like fashion, elevated and spaced, to allow air flow and water drainage.

There's other options to a plain Jane concrete surface as you could acid stain, stencil or stamp the concrete. See the Concrete Network for some ideas. And as Bud mentioned there's tile or you could use stone. Many, many options... but wood flooring is not one of them. Sorry :(

AtlanticWBConst. 07-13-2007 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkrodger (Post 52802)
My husband and I were thinking about doing a nice poured concrete floor on our front porch but think we might like the look of wood better. Anyone know how engineered wood would handle outside in the Midwest?

The core of the flooring can soak up moisture like a sponge. It's not designed to be anywhere near exterior weather elements...

As mentioned and listed, there are many, many other great looking options for outdoor flooring.

Krichton 08-02-2007 08:04 AM

Buy wood floor tiles and lay them on top of the concrete. All done.

JazMan 08-02-2007 10:00 AM

Krichton,

Please do not answer when you have no idea. :no: The only good choice is Bud's suggestion of installing a nice wood-look porcelain tile. Some I've seen are really good looking.

Of course the conditions may not be right for tile unless you build the porch to tile installation standards.

Jaz

SecretSquirrel 08-02-2007 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JazMan (Post 55879)
Krichton,
The only good choice is Bud's suggestion of installing a nice wood-look porcelain tile. Some I've seen are really good looking.

Your opinion wouldn't be biased would it? :wink: :whistling2:

Jeekinz 08-02-2007 11:04 AM

I wonder if they meant those exterior tiles. I think they are 1 foot square with different patterns, constructed out of ipe or cedar 2x's.


......just found this: http://www.extremedeckmakeovers.com/

Jeekinz 08-02-2007 11:06 AM

I think JazMan owes an apology.....

JazMan 08-02-2007 01:03 PM

Hi all,

If Krichton meant some product other than what was being discussed (engineered wood flooring), he/she should have mentioned it. Sorry.

In reading about this product, it reminds me of the Edge Flooring disaster. I don't think it'll work out in the long run. For example, when used outdoors tiled surfaces must have a minimum of a 1/4" per ft. or more of pitch. This is rarely done unless the pad is made with the intention of installing tiles. Even some "tilesetters" are not aware of the need for runoff.

Another one of those bright ideas that looked good on paper?

Secretsquirrel, Yes I am biased. Biased towards products and systems that actually work!!

Jaz

SecretSquirrel 08-02-2007 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JazMan (Post 55904)
Secretsquirrel, Yes I am biased. Biased towards products and systems that actually work!!

I have no problem with the argument that porcelain tile is a good choice. But we differ in opinion in your qualification that it is "The only good choice ".

Jeekinz 08-02-2007 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JazMan (Post 55904)
For example, when used outdoors tiled surfaces must have a minimum of a 1/4" per ft. or more of pitch. This is rarely done unless the pad is made with the intention of installing tiles. Even some "tilesetters" are not aware of the need for runoff.
Jaz

AFAIK, when a concrete pad, or any flat outdoor surface is constructed, usual practice is to allow for run-off.

JazMan 08-02-2007 04:35 PM

Gee wizz Jeekinz didn't you read what I wrote? I clearly wrote that the minimum slope for outdoor tile work is 1/4" per ft. Rarely are porches or patios sloped that much by the concrete guys. If you find one that is, and you'd like to tile it...you're good to go in that regard.

Jaz

concretemasonry 08-02-2007 06:13 PM

Engineered wood outside?
 
Jeekinz -

Remember it is only wood and you cannot change that no matter how you twist, turn or formulate it. The only choice is to petrify it if you want someting with reasonable durability - the problem is there is no wood left and it has been replaced by the materials that last.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:07 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved