Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2010, 11:57 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Is Engineered Wood in a kitchen a bad idea?

I was planning to put down an engineered wood floor over sheet vinyl in my kitchen. But.... one or two people questioned the idea of wood in the kitchen.... due to water from spills, dumping drinks, doing dishes, high traffic, etc...

So.... is engineered wood in a kitchen a really bad idea? From a selling standpoint..... would prospective buyers be turned off by a wood floor in a kitchen?

Thanks.
jageorge72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:38 AM   #2

Lot's of folks have wood floors in kitchen. There are some moisture concerns, but with engineered flooring you mitigate a lot of those concerns as engineered flooring does not expand and contract as much as solid wood. Laminate is generally a first choice as it is inert, but doesn't look as good. I would probably counsel against hardwood, but if you didn't have any kids, were very neat and had some left over in case of a water emergency...
unlvrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:49 PM   #3
Pro Flooring Installer

"Engineered wood products are weaker and more prone to humidity-induced warping than equivalent solid woods, and most particle and fiber-based boards readily soak up water unless they are treated with sealant or paint which usually leads to accelerated fungus growth."

From a wood website.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:23 PM   #4

Does anyone here actually HAVE engineered wood floors in their kitchen, and care to comment? Visually, I think it would look awesome. We have white cabinets, and red walls. I think a lighter color wood floor would look great. BUT..... we are fixing up to sell, so.... I'm just wondering what potential buyers would think. I want to make it a selling point.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:59 PM   #5

my only gripe about engineered floors is they cost almost the same as solid hardwood. i would think a solid hardwood would be a superior selling point. engineered floors kind of remind me of the top end laminate. it's not a wood film but it's a similar idea of pieces glued together.
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:01 PM   #6

we have engineered natural oak wood floors in our kitchen. they are not a problem, a little harder to keep clean as you have to sweep more often to prevent scratches but the look is well worth it. I also use the recommended cleaner from the floor installer. the wood floor is warm looking and looks great w/ the light cherry cabinets. the only issue is that they might dent if you drop something heavy on them. I have few dents but they really don't bother me and you have to really have to look hard to find them. but, if I had tile, I might have a broken one and definately would have had broken dishes. the few dents give character to the flooring as people pay for a distressed look anyway and I really do not have many. you can choose a harder wood such as hickory, apple or maple too. we have had NO problems w/ shrinking, buckeling etc as mentioned in another post. just be sure you pick from a trusted company. there is no fiberboard in mine and you really do not have a choice if you are on a slab like me, you have to use engineered floors. ours have been down for 11 years and look almost brand new. good luck. you will love them. I know i do. I would never choose a laminate, it would look wrong in my kitchen as the whole house has these oak wood floors.
golfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgirl View Post
we have engineered natural oak wood floors in our kitchen. they are not a problem, a little harder to keep clean as you have to sweep more often to prevent scratches but the look is well worth it. I also use the recommended cleaner from the floor installer. the wood floor is warm looking and looks great w/ the light cherry cabinets. the only issue is that they might dent if you drop something heavy on them. I have few dents but they really don't bother me and you have to really have to look hard to find them. but, if I had tile, I might have a broken one and definately would have had broken dishes. the few dents give character to the flooring as people pay for a distressed look anyway and I really do not have many. you can choose a harder wood such as hickory, apple or maple too. we have had NO problems w/ shrinking, buckeling etc as mentioned in another post. just be sure you pick from a trusted company. there is no fiberboard in mine and you really do not have a choice if you are on a slab like me, you have to use engineered floors. ours have been down for 11 years and look almost brand new. good luck. you will love them. I know i do. I would never choose a laminate, it would look wrong in my kitchen as the whole house has these oak wood floors.
Thank you for the info! Do you remember what brand flooring you used? My house is slab-on-grade, and there is vinyl or linoleum down right now. I planned on putting down the padding/vapor barrier, then a floating, engineered wood floor on top of that.

Any more success stories out there?
Old 07-28-2010, 01:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
"Engineered wood products are weaker and more prone to humidity-induced warping than equivalent solid woods, and most particle and fiber-based boards readily soak up water unless they are treated with sealant or paint which usually leads to accelerated fungus growth."

From a wood website.
What wood website? I find that somewhat odd given that plywood (engineered wood flooring) is inherently more stable than dimensional lumber (solid wood flooring). Dimensional lumber is far more prone to warping, cupping and twisting than plywood in humid conditions. I look out to my garage for a lot of examples.
unlvrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:25 PM   #9
Tileguy

I don't have wood in my kitchen, (never will) but I did install some in my sis-in-laws years ago. It was a very high quality Hartco engineered plank, cost about $5.00 wholesale, retail about $7 ish.

Although they are only two people, the dog caused many problems. Sadie the dog would drool a few drops every time she drank and eventually the damage showed. I ripped it out after only 6 years. It needed to be screened and re-finished anyway. BTW, that's normal for hardwood refinishing, 5-8 years if you have light traffic and are a tidy person.

As most people know, wood and water do not work well together......and water always wins. It's a slow process, but water always wins.

You like the looks of wood? Me too. Put some in your bedrooms or study, keep it out of rooms that go direct to the outdoors and high traffic areas.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
TarheelTerp (02-04-2013)
Old 08-01-2010, 04:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jageorge72 View Post
Does anyone here actually HAVE engineered wood floors in their kitchen, and care to comment? Visually, I think it would look awesome. We have white cabinets, and red walls. I think a lighter color wood floor would look great. BUT..... we are fixing up to sell, so.... I'm just wondering what potential buyers would think. I want to make it a selling point.
I put an engineered maple floor(kitchen location) in for a customer about 7 years ago. They are having water related issues in front of the sink and in front of the dishwasher. The 3" wide planks are curling at the edges due to excess moisture.
Ron.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:25 PM   #11

I would not put wood in a kitchen. Unless it is something hard as a rock like maybe the Brazilian woods. Some of those woods are as dense as tile. They are still not impervious to water.

If you are really really want it then tile by the sink, dishwasher, and anywhere else there is water. The tile and wood mix may look odd so maybe stick to tile, slate, marble or the faux wood look vinyl.

As Ron said above - water issues. Some people even want to put wood in bathrooms. Listen to JazMan and Ron.

Frank Lardino
FrankL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:01 AM   #12

How bout bamboo floors?
acerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:20 AM   #13

standard bamboo is soft, i don't care what the charts say, smack some with a hammer, it will dent really easy. the good hard rugged stranded stuff, that i don't know. bamboo is basically strands and glue so if the glue is good enough in theory it should do better than wood. i still don't see why you don't just put tile in bathrooms and kitchens though. if you like earth colors travertine works really well.
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:27 PM   #14

I have Bruce Glen Cove Oak Plank (Toast color-which is really todays Natural) thru most of the home including the kitchen. You have to mop water up if it is on the floor but you would anyway and I have a rug in front of the stove and the sink so I have something soft to stand on. It is gluded down however, not floating. Unsure if that may be why I have no issues or not. I have no pets and no young children however, my older son and husband have spilled lots on the floor, including milk. I use Bruce Cleaner about once every 6 months. I use plain water on a microfiber mop weekly or more and I always vacuum first to remove any grit.
Note, that before installing, you have to measure the moisture content in the cement and FOLLOW DIRECTIONS to correct if you have moisture. You also have to be sure the wood is conditioned to the room.
Many historic homes have wood flooring thruout, including the kitchen. If you don't want to take care of it, then go for something else. I do not mind as I love the look and really dislike ceramics-too cold and hard. I have ceramic in the bath and hate it but there are not alot of choices for there.
Again, if you want it and take care of it as recommended, it should be just fine. Yes, I would prefer solid wood but it is not recommended for a slab.
golfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:13 AM   #15

Interesting thread.
I like to know how one can tell the differance between laminate and engineered wood after its put down?
rjordan392 is offline   Reply With Quote