Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-28-2009, 10:18 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: USA, CA, LA County, Hardness Zone - 8 -10
Posts: 329
Share |
Default

Engineered wood glue requirement - Very expensive


We got patagonian rosewood engineered floor. The supplier says it has to be glued. His recommened glue is Stuaf960 which is very expensive.

Stuaf 960 has both adhesive and MVP. Do I need MVP ? Is there a way I can do moisture test and go for a regular adhesive available in Homedepot ?

Any one here who glued their engineered wood ? Any thoughts ? Please help !!

cprao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:40 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 135
Default

Engineered wood glue requirement - Very expensive


Are you glueing to concrete, or wood subfloor? Wood subfloor should not need a moisture barrier. For concrete, I'd duct tape a piece of plastic to the floor for 48 hours & see if you get any moisture. If it's wet when you pull up the plastic, you'll for sure need the MVP

pinwheel45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:45 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: USA, CA, LA County, Hardness Zone - 8 -10
Posts: 329
Default

Engineered wood glue requirement - Very expensive


Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwheel45 View Post
Are you glueing to concrete, or wood subfloor? Wood subfloor should not need a moisture barrier. For concrete, I'd duct tape a piece of plastic to the floor for 48 hours & see if you get any moisture. If it's wet when you pull up the plastic, you'll for sure need the MVP
It is a concrete subfloor. Can you please repeat once again about the moisture test procedure ?

Assume that I don't have a moisture now, is there a chance that it will pop up at the later stage ?
cprao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:15 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 135
Default

Engineered wood glue requirement - Very expensive


Quote:
Originally Posted by cprao View Post
It is a concrete subfloor. Can you please repeat once again about the moisture test procedure ?

Assume that I don't have a moisture now, is there a chance that it will pop up at the later stage ?

The plastic taped to the floor will draw moisture. As for your other question, it's a good one, but I don't know the answer, maybe someone else will.

I'm getting ready to lay solid, wide plank reclaimed cypress on the concrete slab in the new to us home we just bought. After telling my sells rep what I was doing & getting his advice, I decided to go ahead & use the mvp, to err on the side of caution. My floor passed the moisture test I outlined above, but like you, I'm concerned that I might not get the same results in the future. The extra cost to do the mvp is minimal compared to the value of the flooring, adhesive & my labor to have to tear it out if I have moisture failure down the road.
pinwheel45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:17 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: USA, CA, LA County, Hardness Zone - 8 -10
Posts: 329
Default

Engineered wood glue requirement - Very expensive


Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwheel45 View Post
The plastic taped to the floor will draw moisture. As for your other question, it's a good one, but I don't know the answer, maybe someone else will.

I'm getting ready to lay solid, wide plank reclaimed cypress on the concrete slab in the new to us home we just bought. After telling my sells rep what I was doing & getting his advice, I decided to go ahead & use the mvp, to err on the side of caution. My floor passed the moisture test I outlined above, but like you, I'm concerned that I might not get the same results in the future. The extra cost to do the mvp is minimal compared to the value of the flooring, adhesive & my labor to have to tear it out if I have moisture failure down the road.
What kind of MVP you used ? How much it costed you ? Please advise

For me Stuaf 960(recommended by the supplier of wood) is costing me $1375 ( 5 tins of 4 Gallons, each tin is $250 + tax). My wood is costed me $3.7/Sq ft. I have 700 Sq ft to cover. Installer will charge me between 1.75 & 2.00 /Sq ft. I also need to buy rugs to protect the wood where most of the traffic is there. It will cost me minimum $750 bucks.. I am overhelmed with all these growing costs.
cprao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:41 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 135
Default

Engineered wood glue requirement - Very expensive


I'd have to check my invoice to be sure, but I'm pretty sure the bostichs best & mvp combined was around $1.25/sq ft. Of course, that's my cost as an installer.
pinwheel45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:25 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: USA, CA, LA County, Hardness Zone - 8 -10
Posts: 329
Default

Engineered wood glue requirement - Very expensive


Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwheel45 View Post
I'd have to check my invoice to be sure, but I'm pretty sure the bostichs best & mvp combined was around $1.25/sq ft. Of course, that's my cost as an installer.
Can you confirm the MVP type/grade and the cost incurred by you ? Are you installing the wood yourself or you already installed it ?
cprao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:58 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: USA, CA, LA County, Hardness Zone - 8 -10
Posts: 329
Default

Engineered wood glue requirement - Very expensive


1) I saw this Bostick MVP on internet - it is costing around $150.
http://www.lumberliquidators.com/cat...me=product.jsp

This is a 5 gallon tin. Do you know how much area it covers ?

2) This is the Bostic adhesive- Cost of this $100.
http://www.lumberliquidators.com/cat...c_id=CSE_NT_07

Do you know how much area it covers ?

Basically, I have 700 Sq ft area.. I am trying to understand how much quantity I need for each one. Please help !!
cprao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:01 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 135
Default

Engineered wood glue requirement - Very expensive


Quote:
Originally Posted by cprao View Post
1) I saw this Bostick MVP on internet - it is costing around $150.
http://www.lumberliquidators.com/cat...me=product.jsp

This is a 5 gallon tin. Do you know how much area it covers ?

2) This is the Bostic adhesive- Cost of this $100.
http://www.lumberliquidators.com/cat...c_id=CSE_NT_07

Do you know how much area it covers ?

Basically, I have 700 Sq ft area.. I am trying to understand how much quantity I need for each one. Please help !!
I'm not sure where my book keeper (wife) filed the invoice. I'll be going to the farm tomorrow, I'll try to look at the buckets to see exactly what I bought.


I'm a hardwood floor contractor by trade. Concrete is outside of my norm, so when I've got a project over concrete, I call my sells rep & tell him what I'm doing & order according to his advice. I'm honestly not 100% sure what he sent me for my project. I'm hoping to get on it within the next couple weeks.

I'm pretty sure he sent me the mvp4 & BST urathane on this page, but couldn't garuntee it. http://www.bostik-us.com/markets/flo...s/default.html
pinwheel45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:43 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: USA, CA, LA County, Hardness Zone - 8 -10
Posts: 329
Default

Engineered wood glue requirement - Very expensive


Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwheel45 View Post
I'm not sure where my book keeper (wife) filed the invoice. I'll be going to the farm tomorrow, I'll try to look at the buckets to see exactly what I bought.


I'm a hardwood floor contractor by trade. Concrete is outside of my norm, so when I've got a project over concrete, I call my sells rep & tell him what I'm doing & order according to his advice. I'm honestly not 100% sure what he sent me for my project. I'm hoping to get on it within the next couple weeks.

I'm pretty sure he sent me the mvp4 & BST urathane on this page, but couldn't garuntee it. http://www.bostik-us.com/markets/flo...s/default.html
Thank you very much for the information. Based on the documentation, it looks like one Gallon MVP covers 40-45 ft. I think this is $150. This comes in 5 gallon tin. So I would need 4 tins costing me around $700 (Including taxes). Bostic Best Urethane is also costing at $150. I don't know how much it covers.. But I guess I defintely need 4 tins which is again costing me around $700. Then it comes to $1400. If I go for stauf 960, it roughly costs me around 1400.. Both comes to the same number..

So the glue comes around $2/sq ft.


One another question. Why the manufacturer makes it glued ? Is it more stronger than floating wood ?
cprao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:05 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 135
Default

Engineered wood glue requirement - Very expensive


Quote:
Originally Posted by cprao View Post
Thank you very much for the information. Based on the documentation, it looks like one Gallon MVP covers 40-45 ft. I think this is $150. This comes in 5 gallon tin. So I would need 4 tins costing me around $700 (Including taxes). Bostic Best Urethane is also costing at $150. I don't know how much it covers.. But I guess I defintely need 4 tins which is again costing me around $700. Then it comes to $1400. If I go for stauf 960, it roughly costs me around 1400.. Both comes to the same number..

So the glue comes around $2/sq ft.


One another question. Why the manufacturer makes it glued ? Is it more stronger than floating wood ?
I'd say your math is pretty close on what you need material wise. My project is around 350 sq ft. I've got 2 buckets of each. I do know, he had cheaper options & ask if that's the way I wanted to go. When I told him I was laying random width solid wood from 6-10" wide, he said go for the good stuff, I garantee it'll hold. So I ponied up the extra coin.

As for you final question, I'm going to have to defer to my other statement, about this being outside my norm. My expertise lies in solid wood over wood subfloors.


Might not hurt to pose your question via email, or phone ( if you can raise anyone) to a couple of glue manufacturers, with details about the product you're laying & laying conditions.
pinwheel45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:07 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: USA, CA, LA County, Hardness Zone - 8 -10
Posts: 329
Default

Engineered wood glue requirement - Very expensive


Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwheel45 View Post
I'd say your math is pretty close on what you need material wise. My project is around 350 sq ft. I've got 2 buckets of each. I do know, he had cheaper options & ask if that's the way I wanted to go. When I told him I was laying random width solid wood from 6-10" wide, he said go for the good stuff, I garantee it'll hold. So I ponied up the extra coin.

As for you final question, I'm going to have to defer to my other statement, about this being outside my norm. My expertise lies in solid wood over wood subfloors.


Might not hurt to pose your question via email, or phone ( if you can raise anyone) to a couple of glue manufacturers, with details about the product you're laying & laying conditions.
Thank you for all your input.. I will continue to research to see any other viable alternative options to install my wood.
cprao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:39 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: USA, CA, LA County, Hardness Zone - 8 -10
Posts: 329
Default

Engineered wood glue requirement - Very expensive


Quote:
Originally Posted by cprao View Post
Thank you for all your input.. I will continue to research to see any other viable alternative options to install my wood.
I have discovered that Mapei products are also being used as GLUE as well as MVP.
Mapei Ultraband 990 is used for adhesive purposes. I don't know the Mapei brand for MVP.

Does any one has any experience with Mapei products ? How do you guys rate them ? Please advise !!
cprao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:26 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 727
Default

Engineered wood glue requirement - Very expensive


Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwheel45 View Post
For concrete, I'd duct tape a piece of plastic to the floor for 48 hours & see if you get any moisture. If it's wet when you pull up the plastic, you'll for sure need the MVP
Wow, that's pretty much a joke-bush league moisture meter. Don't you think if you're spending some real money on a floor, you oughta check the moisture with a little more care and precision?

You can cheaply buy a moisture tester http://americanmoisturetest.com/prod...-test-kit.html

but others are available as well. These will give you a much more quantatative answer than putting plastic on the floor. You are investing a lot in your floor, do it right
Anti-wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 12:56 AM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 135
Default

Engineered wood glue requirement - Very expensive


Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-wingnut View Post
Wow, that's pretty much a joke-bush league moisture meter. Don't you think if you're spending some real money on a floor, you oughta check the moisture with a little more care and precision?

You can cheaply buy a moisture tester http://americanmoisturetest.com/prod...-test-kit.html

but others are available as well. These will give you a much more quantatative answer than putting plastic on the floor. You are investing a lot in your floor, do it right

Gotta love the rude internet. Thanks for your positive, upbeat response.


BTW, the plastic is not to check the moisture content in the floor, but to check for moisture transfer through the concrete through hydraulic pressure.

pinwheel45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How much more expensive is to build home from brick/steel/concrete instead of wood? Nuieve Building & Construction 10 12-11-2011 09:09 PM
Nailing down engineered wood planks ? Flt_Simulation Flooring 2 05-14-2009 04:36 PM
Ext Paint for Interior Application? PaoloM Painting 24 04-21-2009 04:30 AM
What to install under engineered wood floors renfrey Flooring 2 11-26-2008 08:26 AM
Where to buy adhesive for engineered wood floor SoConfused! Flooring 2 12-04-2006 09:21 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.