Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-07-2010, 07:06 AM   #1

Share |

Engineered wood floors

I was told that factory finished floors are more durable and resistant to daily use as compared to traditional sanded stained and polyurathaned flooring, true ? or ????
also, someone said you can use oooo steel wool and paste wax on wood, would car wax work in this case or no. thanks, G

turbomangt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:50 PM   #2

Engineered wood floors

WHOA

lol You've got some interesting questions there G.
Quote:
I was told that factory finished floors are more durable and resistant to daily use as compared to traditional sanded stained and polyurathaned flooring, true ? or ????
The argument there is that the better factory finishes are uv cured which basically allows them to dry faster and allows for more coats of finish to be applied. I have, however, seen some sand and coat floors that looked as good for as long as their prefinished cousins.
Quote:
also, someone said you can use oooo steel wool and paste wax on wood, would car wax work in this case or no.
You should only use wax on a wax finished floor. I don't know if car wax would work, don't know anyone that has ever tried it lol My advice would be to not use car wax on a floor (because of the various chemicals that may not be appropriate.)

Good luck!

rcuerrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:12 PM   #3

Engineered wood floors

I as told in a previous post that I should use 0000steel wool and wax for areas that are scratched, this is the same area I have a toddler crawling around, are you saying I should not use wax? or is their a special kind that is non toxic??????????????????
turbomangt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:46 AM   #4

Engineered wood floors

Hi there,

I have a prefinished engineered hardwood floor myself. Key to your question is: what type of finish is used for your floor?

A UV-varnished floor cannot be maintained or repaired locally. In those cases you would have to sand the whole floor down and finish it again. For that reason I'm fond (and still very satisfied!) of hardwaxoil. My floor is finished with a hardwaxoil that is applied in a single coat and can be maintained locally, without any colour overlap, and consists for 100% of natural ingredients.

Hope this migth help you out?
Steven78 is offline   Reply With Quote