DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Engineered vs. cork

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Zero Punch 
#1 ·
Hi all,

OK, in the interest of marketing I'm changing the title of my question and trying again.

I have a condo and want to put in engineered floors or cork. First level is a slab foundation, otherwise I'd go hardwood. No bathrooms but a kitchen is included.

I'll be hiring installers, too much to do on my own, but want to know what to look for in a quality floor. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, again.

#3 ·
Cole,

Thanks for responding. I guess a little of both. As far as I have heard, cork is not as commonly used, so I want to make sure my installer knows enough about which ever product to reccommend what is right for me. All my neighbors went with laminate which I want to avoid. I'm also very worried about the big box products that look great in store but have a high failure rate (per contractr talk) and want to know what to listen for to avoid this issue.

Does this explain? If not let me know. Thanks again.

Concordseeker

#4 ·
Cork can either be glue-down tiles or an engineered product that comes in planks that click together like laminate hardwoods. You can get all kinds of styles of cork.

We put a figured type of engineered cork in our study recently, and we really like it. It wears well, feels nice and forgiving underfoot, and has a unique look.

However, it's EXPENSIVE! I think we paid $6 or $7 per square foot for the materials. Installation is really easy.

Nate

#6 ·
Your best choice, taking into account your stated preferences would be an engineered floating wood floor. There are numerous products at various price points that will meet your needs and budget. I am not a big fan of wood in kitchens although it seems to be in fashion I've seen too many problems water related. I would suggest a vinyl product in the kitchen and the engineered product through out the rest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.