Engineered Hardwood Under Dishwasher - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2013, 02:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

engineered hardwood under dishwasher

I plan on doing the kitchen floor with engineered hardwood. (and the adjacent dining room too) what happens to engineered hardwood if it gets wet like under the dishwasher?

tnx,

Advertisement

analogmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Ever see what happens to plywood when it gets really wet? That. Warping, swelling, delaminating...

I wonder if someone makes a pan to install under your dishwasher to funnel the water so it doesn't sit and soak. I've seen them for sink boxes, to save your cabinets if your kitchen sink leaks.

Yes, they do.

http://www.floorsaverpan.com/Installation.html

Advertisement

zakany is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zakany For This Useful Post:
82ndpara (03-24-2013), hyunelan2 (03-19-2013)
Old 03-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #3
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 530

I had no immediate knowledge or need for a pan like that, but after seeing it - I think I'm getting one for my dishwasher. (Floors are 3/4" oak).
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:23 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,736

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogmusicman View Post
I plan on doing the kitchen floor with engineered hardwood. (and the adjacent dining room too) what happens to engineered hardwood if it gets wet like under the dishwasher?

tnx,
i am sure it depends on the flooring. but mine didn't suffer much damage, the grain lifted just a tad. nowhere near enough to warrant a replacement.
i also left some scrapes of this flooring out in the weather. while the finish did discolor, it wasn't much effected otherwise. and i left it outside for a year+.

but don't bother putting it under there. get a piece of wood that same thickness as the total flooring, + 1/8". cut that so it stays under the front trim of the DW. but still supports the DW. then run the flooring up under the DW trim plate. or is that called a kick plate ? anyway, you know what i mean. also do this for your fridge and stove. when installing the appliance/s, put a piece of masonite on the floor in front of hole, appliance on top. this way, you will not damage your new flooring placing the appliances.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fix'n it For This Useful Post:
zakany (03-19-2013)
Old 03-19-2013, 09:36 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,736

i found the pics !!!

here, the base that the fridge sets on, is flat/even with the masonite in front of it. i could easily roll the firdge out by myself. did it several times. NO damage to the floating engineered flooring.

Last edited by Fix'n it; 06-20-2013 at 10:32 PM.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
don't bother putting it under there. get a piece of wood that same thickness as the total flooring, + 1/8". cut that so it stays under the front trim of the DW. but still supports the DW. then run the flooring up under the DW trim plate. or is that called a kick plate ? anyway, you know what i mean. also do this for your fridge and stove. when installing the appliance/s, put a piece of masonite on the floor in front of hole, appliance on top. this way, you will not damage your new flooring placing the appliances.
Good idea.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #7

you know,originally, I thought I'd pull out all the cabinets so I could put the flooring on the entire floor but now I'm wondering if that's just creating work for myself. maybe I don't need to do that.maybe I could put the new flooring right up to the cabinets. anyone got any thoughts about that?

tnx,
Old 03-20-2013, 01:54 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogmusicman View Post
you know,originally, I thought I'd pull out all the cabinets so I could put the flooring on the entire floor but now I'm wondering if that's just creating work for myself. maybe I don't need to do that.maybe I could put the new flooring right up to the cabinets. anyone got any thoughts about that?

tnx,
When I do engineered floating floors I typically run the floor under the refrig., stove and dishwasher. I never run it under or where cabinets will be. Run up to the cabinets, use your normal spacer between the edge & cabinet, and install quarter round/shoe molding. The one time I didn't, I replace the dishwasher later and have an unsightly gap. Dealing with that currently. Good luck.
Indywar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Indywar For This Useful Post:
Dave Sal (03-23-2013)
Old 03-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #9
Newbie Bill

We did our hardwood just up to the cabinets. The toe kick hides the edges.

We also put hardwood under dishwasher, fridge and stove. The front wheels on our fridge are visible so if we did it fixit's way, the change in flooring is visible.

So we use these glide and guard tracks underneath the stove and fridge. The front edge of the track is visible, but less unsightly than a change in flooring.

No scratches or dents on hardwood when moving them in and out.

http://www.reliableparts.com/product...-Guard-1476423

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:34 PM   #10

I put tile in my kitchen. I ran it under the cabinets, giving them a solid, level base.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:15 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,098

Double check the total height to make sure the DW fits after adding flooring...may need to raise the counter-top.

Gary
Old 03-23-2013, 12:24 PM   #12
greetings from Bolivia

Rewards Points: 75
Send a message via Skype™ to harrymontana

engineered flooring is a glued wood on plywood, and plywood by the way itself is also glued particles. The manufacturer of course uses super glue, but I wouldn't take a chance.
harrymontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymontana View Post
engineered flooring is a glued wood on plywood, and plywood by the way itself is also glued particles. The manufacturer of course uses super glue, but I wouldn't take a chance.

plywood is glued particles? I thought it was very thin slices of wood glued so that each layer is perpendicular to the next. sure you don't mean "particle board"? anyway,isn't all plywood glued with waterproof glue nowadays?

tnx,
Old 03-23-2013, 05:44 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 10

Hi Analog,
Last I heard engineered was perpendicular sheets of plywood with a real wood wear layer, which makes it dimensional superior to hardwood as far as expansion and contraction=stability. I like the look of hardwood and the ability to re-sand, but I have installed and been satisfied with my engineered floors.
Indywar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #15
greetings from Bolivia

Rewards Points: 75
Send a message via Skype™ to harrymontana

hello,
correct, I don't know the names in English, there are different kind of boards and techniques of glueing (crossed) veneer slices, particles, etc etc, different types of glues, anyway, it is still glue, so waterproof glue, if you believe it, go ahead.

Advertisement

harrymontana is offline   Reply With Quote