Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2011, 05:23 AM   #1
I HATE caulking!

Rewards Points: 10

Engineered flooring seamless door pass-through

I have a pass through closet I wanted to make a seamless transition into. Right to left 17" wall, 30" door, ~30" wall, 30" door and 72" wall. ~75" lengths of click-lock with tongue & groove ends. Last board has to be ripped to fit losing the lock tab. If I leave a protrusion for the door with the lock tab, it won't slide under the door molding. Unless I can slide it across the last piece, under the door molding and then knock it back into the second to last piece?

If I cut 17" to the first opening and slide in a ~30" piece through the door/under the door molding, then there isn't a groove for the next piece to lock into. I experimented with routing a groove, but the ends of the engineered pieces are slightly beveled and I can't match that. Is the seamless pass through possible? Leave the last piece unlocked at the ends and let the shoe molding hold it down?

TIA

Ron

Shiseiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:46 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

I'm not sure I am following you but, If i read this right you can add wood glue to the joint to hold it together.

woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:53 AM   #3
I HATE caulking!

The issue is locking the flooring together to get through the doorway I have reached at the end of laying the room floor. Getting a 1/4" or so under the door molding is what I see as the main trick.

The measurements are from the wall I started at with the room and laid flooring to my back. In other words the wall I have reached with the door way I want to make a seamless transition through.

First time I have heard of gluing a floating floor. Butting short pieces together will lose the bevel at the end of the engineered plank.

Ron
Old 09-10-2011, 12:08 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

If you under cut the door jam and frame you should have at least 1/2" space. Most floating floors have to be raised to lock into place. At a doorway this is not possible. If it is a laminate (not real wood) you can cut or scrape the ridge (locking mechanism) off of the bottom side and slide the two peices together with glue to hold them together. On most laminates the locking mechanism my break off not allowing the two peices to go together if they are not raised. Glueing was the original way laminate was installed. If it is a wood floating floor you should be able to lay it flat and use a tapping block to put it together. Wood is normally strong enough to withstand this.
woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:22 PM   #5
I HATE caulking!

Took a few trials but got it. I used an oscillating saw on the trim no room to lift & lock. Started with the length I needed to get past the door ending in a slot and as you said trimmed off the locking tab and notched into the passage/door frame. Glued every other tab and weighted it down. The next piece came into the passage from the other side and then the closet was a breeze as it is only 65" wide.

Thanks again,

Ron