Engineered Flooring-gap Along Last Wall Too Wide - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-12-2010, 05:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

engineered flooring-gap along last wall too wide

The rest of the room turned out beautiful.
However, no matter how I measured the room, the flooring ended up with too wide an expansion gap on one wall. The gap is 3/4 to 7/8 wide, just enough to NOT be covered by the 3/4 moulding. 3/4 round is already around the rest of the room except for this wall. The directions said to not cut any pieces less than 2.25" wide for the last row but it just would not work out. Any suggestions? How do I fill this in?please.
Thank you.

Advertisement

golfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:31 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,316

Floating floor? Can you go back to the first row and cut it narrower? That would make your last row wider.

Advertisement

rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rusty baker For This Useful Post:
golfgirl (12-17-2010)
Old 12-12-2010, 06:01 PM   #3

yes floating floor. even if I did that, I would still have the gap. room is 11 x 11. boards are 3" wide. that would make each board (starting row and ending row) 1.5" but still leave the 7/8 gap on the last row. right now I am looking at the last row being 1/2 to 5/8 wide but since it would be mostly under the moulding, thinking it would be ok, just maybe have to glue it to the second last row, as it may not lock in being so narrow.
If I cut the pieces, I will have to open another whole box. Trying very hard to not waste a whole box if I can for 4 pieces.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:02 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

I am not sure what the design flow is like within your home but you may be able to put down your molding on level and on the front face of the trip put down a bullnose or corner mold. That should add an additional 1/2" to the profile of the trim and hide any excessive gaps you may have. It would be cheaper than opening a whole ne box too!
MC Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MC Handyman For This Useful Post:
golfgirl (12-17-2010)
Old 12-14-2010, 02:55 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

You can glue the last row if it doesn't cut the toungue off too much , The instructions can't always work out because some rooms flow into other rooms or have multiple distances due the fact that houses aren't built with 3 inch flooring in mind ,
Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do ,
tacomahardwoodfloors.com
tacomahardwood. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tacomahardwood. For This Useful Post:
golfgirl (12-17-2010)
Old 12-17-2010, 09:14 PM   #6

thanks. I put this project on hold and will look at it with a fresh look this weekend. It looks awesome despite not having the 1/4 round moulding on yet.

Advertisement