Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2009, 03:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Engineered, floating hardwood or glue-down

Hello,

I am new to this forum, so please cut me some slack if I screw up. I have decided to put hardwood flooring in a hallway - about 120sf. At first, I thought my only choice would be a glue-down - I have a concrete slab foundation. When in a Home Depot, I noticed a floating, engineered wood product and thought I would research the idea. I have succeeded in confusing myself somewhat. Anyway, is there enough price differential between glue-down (including installation costs of about $3.50/sf - is that reasonable?) and the floating type, just mentioned, to make the floating type my choice. I ask this question with the presumption that a glue-down is preferable, unless a budget crimps your style.

Thanks,

gosooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 04:05 PM   #2
Wood Floor Guy

Rewards Points: 25

You're only a newbie once, and now that you posted, you're a veteran! Direct glue down vs: floating is really a matter of personal choice. Either method is good. I'm not a real fan of floating because it always has a hollow sound regardless of the pad used. But, a floating installation generally is cheaper (no expensive glue to use), quicker, cleaner, and ready to walk on right away. If they're charging $3.50' for glue down in your area and that includes adhesive, that's not a bad price. Floating should be at least $1.00' cheaper. Good luck!

Wood Floor Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosooners View Post
Hello,

I am new to this forum, so please cut me some slack if I screw up. I have decided to put hardwood flooring in a hallway - about 120sf. At first, I thought my only choice would be a glue-down - I have a concrete slab foundation. When in a Home Depot, I noticed a floating, engineered wood product and thought I would research the idea. I have succeeded in confusing myself somewhat. Anyway, is there enough price differential between glue-down (including installation costs of about $3.50/sf - is that reasonable?) and the floating type, just mentioned, to make the floating type my choice. I ask this question with the presumption that a glue-down is preferable, unless a budget crimps your style.

Thanks,

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 08-20-2009 at 03:56 PM. Reason: RULES VIOLATION: Advertising Link Removed From Signature
Wood Floor Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 04:21 PM   #3

Thanks. Wood Floor Guy.

gosooners
Old 04-21-2009, 11:33 PM   #4

I am in the same camp as you, but I have 1750sqft to cover with wood floor, I have narrowed down choice of wood to Brazilian cherry or tiger wood. I was at Home Depot & Lowes, their wood does not seem to be of good quality. I installed 1500sqft of pergo myself once so floating floors are a breeze to install. DIY. But the engineered floors in Home depot is not even up to the quality of pergo, if you take a key and try to scratch pergo you have to try hard, but the tiger wood they sell (Bruce) scratched easily. I found after some research that Khars has good material in comparison but it cost $1 more than the bruce stuff. I talked to a veteran home builder, he told me that the "good" installers all work for the flooring companies and not for home depot. The flooring companies are hurting from the slowdown and are willing to make you deals. I am going to try some of the local floor dealers to see what they have to offer. I think regardless how you look at it I am looking at approx $8 a sqft installed. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks,
manjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:38 PM   #5

Look at my other thread

Engineered wood floor product reccomendations?

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks,
manjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:26 AM   #6

Thank you manjo for your input. I am slowly learning.

Thanks again