Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-08-2010, 09:25 PM   #1
BKC

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Engineered floating floor: any good?

Hello to all! I recently stumbled upon this site while looking for tips on how best to install a hardwood floor in my living room and I'm glad I did! We ripped out our old carpet and were all set to buy 3/4" solid, pre-finished Brazilian Cherry. (like the rest of the population apparently!) Upon surfing this site, however, I learned that that is not an option with the dreaded press board underlayment. No huge deal, I thought. I'll just pull up all 500' of it and replace with plywood before I nail it down. (House was built in 1970 and has 4x10 beams 4' on center with 1 1/2" car decking as a subfloor)

It would save me quite a bit of work and a few hundred dollars if I can find a good floating floor but for some reason I have this preconceived notion that floating floors are cheesy. I don't want to tear up the underlayment but I will if I'm going to regret it for the rest of my life because I can clearly tell that I'm looking at and walking on a floating floor.

Will I be able to tell the difference in feel and look of a floater over a solid?

I've seen Mannington and Kahrs. I don't know what Mannington goes for and the Kahr seems pretty spendy. Kentwood seems to make something but is it any good?

Thanks!
Brian
Pacific Northwest

BKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:05 PM   #2

I've been living with a floating floor for the past 5 years, and am installing them in certain areas in my new home. Yes, it's not real wood, but by the time you add the furniture, rugs, etc, you really don't notice it any more. Modern laminate looks great, is inexpensive, easy to install, durable, and very easy to clean.

suprvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprvee View Post
Modern laminate looks great, is inexpensive, easy to install, durable, and very easy to clean.
I agree. I have Prego Accolade in my upstairs bedroom. Just keep in mind that unlike real wood, refinishing is not a possibility. When it wears out, which should take quite a while, you will have to do a reinstall. And if you damage a piece, especially if it is in the center of the room replacing that section will be time consuming. If money and installation effort were no consideration, I suppose factory finished solid wood would give a richer more upscale look. Also I would not use laminate in any area subject to moisture or water such as the basement, bathroom or kitchen. Finally, grit from the street on the bottom of your shoes will lead to a quick demise of laminate flooring. We remove our shoes before going upstairs to the bedroom. Hope I have not discouraged you from installing laminate but I want to present a balanced view so you can make an informed decision.
I just noticed that you specifically mentioned engineered floring. As I understand it, engineered floring has a layer of real wood and in some cases can be refinished once.

Last edited by retired guy 60; 10-13-2010 at 01:37 PM.
retired guy 60 is offline   Reply With Quote