Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2012, 07:45 PM   #1

Share |

Encapsulate Asbestos w Floor Leveling Compound

We have asbestos tile in our basement,some of which has come lose after hurricane Irene flooded the basement. I would like to encapsulate the remaining tiles and level out the areas where the tiles were loosened and are now removed. My questions are what do you think of this approach,how thick should I make the leveling compound, what brand/type of compound would you recommend. When I'm done I want to put down carpet tiles. The basement was recently waterproofed. Thanks in advance

boobleom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:51 PM   #2

There is no reason to do this. I would just replace the missing tiles, with any tile, there just to make it all level and go over it with the carpet.
There's 0 to gain and a lot of work and money for nothing to seal it in.
The only way there's even a remote possiblity it can cause a health issue is if you were to take a saw and start cutting it up. Unless the fibers are airborn they do 0 harm. There is no toxic magic dust just coming off of them.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:37 PM   #3

Smile

Thanks for the quick response. I agree with you, but I'm looking down the road when we go to sell the house. I would rather spend some money now than have a buyer try "nickle and diming" (big nickles) me for abatement costs. We're not going anywhere for another 10+ years. God only knows what legislation will be in place by then.
boobleom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:03 PM   #4
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobleom1 View Post
We have asbestos tile in our basement,some of which has come lose after hurricane Irene flooded the basement. I would like to encapsulate the remaining tiles and level out the areas where the tiles were loosened and are now removed.
Get a long handled flat blade scraper and get the rest up.
If you're bound and determined to use the leveler for something...
then use it to encapsulate the adhesive that will remain.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:53 AM   #5
Doer of Many Things

All levelers I've ever seen specifically say not to use over asbestos containing materials. This is probably just a cover you butt clause but it's still in the paperwork. As for resell value, you are legally required to disclose the presence of asbestos to any potential buyer so whether it's encapsulated or not doesn't really matter to whoever is looking to buy. The presence of asbestos means potential abatement in the future and thus a price reduction will be in order.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:26 PM   #6

Remove all loose tile. Prime the floor with silpro c-21 ( available @ a h Harris and other concrete working places). Skim with ardexx feather finish.( available @ local flooring places). Place new flooring on top. This is an accepted method for asbestos encapsulation. Unless you shot blast the slab, you'll never get the adhesive up enough for a manufacture of a product to warranty it.

gabish is offline   Reply With Quote