Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2010, 05:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 156

Electric Mat Radiant Floor Heating Question

Okay before I lay my 20" travertine tiles on the floor I am installing a heated floor mat. My question is how close do I need to be to the walls. I've heard everywhere from 3"- 8". Also with the large tiles that I am going to use just say I move the mat 6" away from the wall do you suspect the whole tile will get warm or just the spot directly under the wire. Also how far away from the bathtub should I be with the edge of the mat? Is it something where I want to be right up to the edge or not? I've also heard that you can go under the toilet a little bit but you want to stay at least 3" away from the wax ring. I've never done radiant floor but it looks quite easy. Mainly I just want to know how far the heat will disperse on the travertine that I have and how far away do I keep the mat from the perimeter of the room. Thanks

ryan5068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:04 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,358

Ryan, I've only installed the NuHeat mat once.
I searched their installation site---Lot of fluff--no real specs.

I think your idea of 6" from the wall should give you nice even heat--the thickness and mass of the stone should spread the heat nicely.

I hope that someone with some hands on experience will chime in.--Mike--

oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:12 PM   #3
Electric Radiant Heating

Rewards Points: 150

You should stay at least 6" from the wax ring. As for the walls, since you have a line voltage mat, just fill the room with the mat you have. You can not over lap or cut line voltage wires so just install it using the best coverage for your application. Consider that no one walks within the 6" of the wall anyway so why heat it!? However, if not heating it means you'll have element left over...just use it there.
oh'mike (07-25-2010)
Old 07-25-2010, 04:44 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,128

Typically the wires will heat about 1-1/2" from the wire. Most mats are woven with the wires about three inches apart, some are four.

No reason to heat anything but the isles you walk in. Stay about 1-1/2" from a tub and shower curb and four to six inches away from the toilet's wax ring, six inches from a wall is suitable.

Keep in mind you have to make a "home run" to the thermostat and need enough lead wire to climb the wall to the stat location. Don't forget to install the sensor.

It is best to bury the system in Self Levelling Compound. This will give you the thermal mass you require.

Prime the substrate, install the mat, pour the SLC within twenty-four hours of installing the primer.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:28 AM   #5

Well what I planned on doing and have done some research on is to adhere it to the concrete since it has an adhesive underside then I was going to bury it in the thinset with a notched plastic trowel (b/c I dont want to nick the wire) then lay the tile like normal. If this is totally not an okay way to do so please respond asap. The mat that I have will be about 6" from the wall and it will go about 2" from my vanity and go right along the edge of the toilet and it will be about 3" short of the bathtub. I think it should be a PERFECT fit for the room.
Attached Thumbnails
Electric Mat Radiant Floor Heating Question-bathroom-tile.jpg  
Old 07-26-2010, 04:42 AM   #6
Electric Radiant Heating

It's sounds perfect! You did you're honework. Don't forget to test the element before AND after it's installed and make notes. Manufacturers warranties are based on those notes so don't lose them.

Even if you are sure in your mind that nothing went wrong and the test is not necessary, IF you have a problem later, the notes you took will be your salvation when on the phone with tech.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:36 AM   #7

Thanks I will keep you posted on how it feels and looks when it is complete. Thanks. I will certainly take voltage readings. I do not have a tester is there an afordable one that I should look into purchasing for this project?
Old 07-26-2010, 06:52 AM   #8
Tileguy

Quote:
Well what I planned on doing and have done some research on is to adhere it to the concrete since it has an adhesive underside then I was going to bury it in the thinset with a notched plastic trowel (b/c I dont want to nick the wire) then lay the tile like normal.
Do what you want boss. I've suggested the best way but it does cost a little more. In the long-run using SLC is the least expensive way to do it.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:22 PM   #9
Electric Radiant Heating

You can buy an inexpensive digital volt/ohm meter from HD or Lowes. It's not the volts you're looking for, it's the ohms. The mat (or roll of cable) you purchased will have a tag attached showing what the factory reading was. You should expect something close (within say 5%) of that.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:00 PM   #10
Tileguy

You take an ohm reading when the unit comes out of the box. Compare that to what the factory tag states.

Install the system, then do another reading and again compare.

Once the system is covered using either thermal mass method of cover up, take yet another reading BEFORE the tile goes in.

You can also buy a cheap gizmo that stays attached to the system during the installation and will set off an alarm if the wires are compromised. One of the alarms is called a "Loud Mouth".
Old 08-03-2010, 04:32 AM   #11

Hmm okay so I got my mat in the mail today and when i opened up the box everything was neatly shrink wrapped and such however I cannot locate any tag that has a resistance reading from the factory. Is there a certain place I need to look? I took my own reading and I got around 54.0 ohms when I touched the red and black wires and both read right around 7.0 when I went red to ground and black to ground. Do these numbers sound right. I have never used a multimeter but I think I did it right. Thoughts.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:09 AM   #12
Electric Radiant Heating

Were there any instructions with the mat? I would call the manufacturer and ask.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:18 PM   #13
Tileguy

Quote:
Hmm okay so I got my mat in the mail today and when i opened up the box everything was neatly shrink wrapped and such however I cannot locate any tag that has a resistance reading from the factory.
What brand is the heat mat? Please don't make me go back and re-read everything just to find out you never said the brand to begin with.

There should be a Tyvek tag on the lead wire, the ohm reading will be written on that tag.

Quote:
Do these numbers sound right.
Don't know! Each mat always seems to be a little different to me.
There is also an installation manual in the box, inside that manual is a page with a preprinted chart for you to record your readings for each phase of the installation. Maybe some twurd at the factory has written the information there on that chart to get you started. Don't know! The manual will also tell you what wires to take the reading from.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:42 AM   #14

Okay the first mat that I took the readings from was a bad mat as one of the wires was crimped. I got another mat and it works pefectly. I just got the tile floor laid and it looks beautiful. I am grouting on Friday so pictures of the project are soon coming. Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to ryan5068 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (09-02-2010)
Old 09-03-2010, 10:37 AM   #15
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan5068 View Post
Okay the first mat that I took the readings from was a bad mat as one of the wires was crimped. I got another mat and it works pefectly. I just got the tile floor laid and it looks beautiful. I am grouting on Friday so pictures of the project are soon coming. Thanks
YAY! We love happy endings AND photos here!

Po)

DM