Edge Flooringwhat The Heck? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2007, 11:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Edge Flooringwhat the heck?

I have heard a lot about this stuff over the years about Edge Flooring and when my parents came to me and asked me to install this stuff I was expecting a nightmare but it was extremely easy to use and I love the stuff. After some research at my local flooring retailers I found out some very interesting things about this product.

The stuff that Lowes sold was junk. My local flooring store told me so they told me all about how when the company launched the product there was some issues but the company had been bought and the product went through a ton of changes. He told they have been using it for about a year and no issues yet so I got it.

I put the stuff in my momís kitchen about a year ago now and I can tell you as a fact I have laid traditional tile for many years and that is all over now this Edge stuff works and works great. If you want deco and inlays and all that jazz traditional tile is the only way to go but for just regular 12 x 12 tile this Edge takes the cake. I was amazed at how fast I put it down about 100 ft in 2 and a half hours thatís fast.

My parentís subfloor had a lot of damage to it from water and instead of ripping up all of the hardwood we just put this Edge stuff right over the hardwood and there is not one cracked tile or grout joint it is unbelievable to me how resilient this stuff is. And there is a lot of movement in this floor. There is no way you could put a tile floor in that room with out a ton of time and money invested in sub floor prep.

I been in insurance restoration and contraction for 10 years and this is one of the best products I have ever used and I thought that it would never work. Do not be frightened by the guys at Loweís they are not experts in anything. I heard the dept mgr of a Loweís tell a guy he could thin set tile right on the decking of his home. You can go a head and do that but if you live anywhere you get a freeze thaw situation your floor will crack every time.

Since my momís job I have used this stuff on commercial jobs as well as residential jobs without the first issue. This company may have had some problems but they donít now I give this stuff two thumbs up. Thatís just my two cents. Good luck on your projects.

Advertisement

sammythebull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:21 AM   #2
Handyman

Thumbs up

Thanks for the feedback Sammy. My neighbor used it for a landing area and he loved it so I have been considering the product for my basement but wasn't completly sure. I've got a 300 sf area and want a product that will perform...from the info on their website I know this has a 25 yr warranty but I need to know it'll last just as long if not longer than regular tile. Sounds like they've made some good improvments though and feedback has been positive. Any other current feedback from other members would be appreicated. I have read good things of late but would appreciate any other insight into the product.

Advertisement

UKMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:28 PM   #3

Before I post I do have to disclose I am a representative of Edge Flooring. I appreciate the feedback Sammy and the positive review. Your information and due dilagance is correct. The Edge Flooring company as we now know it was bought some 3 plus years ago by the Hunt Group. They bought the conceptual rights to the product and assumed all liability of the previous product that was on the market. the Hunt group (Lamar Hunt owner of KC Chiefs and Ray Hunt who is famous for cornering the silver market) aquire a company every year or two. They look for a viable concept/product they can sink some money and develop into a market leader and thats what they are doing here. They brought the current CEO from Alcola (was their CEO) and he developed a product that performs beautifully in even the most adverse of settings. The Gen-4 product has been out for 2 years with zero issues nationally and it is used by major builders, apartment complexes, its the leader in manaufactured housing, and also RVs, yachts, and even elavators. The product that went into Lowes some 4 years ago was decent but it sure had its issues, this product is nothing like it.

If you have questions about installation they have an online video at www.edgeflooring.com and also all the FAQs. UKMatt I would reassure you the product works better than traditional tile. Traditional tile has no warranty and needs a perfect subfloor and foundation. Edge allows 3/16th" deflection within 6' span....that is more like a spec for a laminate floor. Traditional tile requires mixing thin sets, grotes, spacers, heavy and messy backerboard...with Edge everything is already done for you in the factory. We offer a cutting blade you put on a table saw or skill saw and your all set. The grout is pre-mixed and totally waterproof, stain resisitant, and totally flexible. it will never crack and nver needs to be sealed...it's the key to our system. I would suggest you give us a try and let us proove to you how easy it goes in and how well it performs. Thanks for your interest in the product and thank you Sammy for your support out there. We need more of you telling the Edge story, it sure is a heck of a product and the one true do-it-yourself ceramic tile floor on the market.

Hit me back if you have any other questions and let me know Matt if you go with us and how you like it.
EdgeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:55 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Do all the Lowe's carry this type of flooring?

Also, about how much is it to install per sq. ft. (including the underlayment, grout, etc.?)

Sounds very interesting-I was going to sheet vinyl my upstairs bathroom but this sounds like an interesting idea (my house is from 1930 and the subfloor is not entirely perfect enough for regular ceramic tile).
AllGoNoShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:11 AM   #5

Actually it has been out of Lowes for almost 3 years now. You can find it at most independent retailers. Best bet is to visit www.edgeflooring.com and put in your zip code and it will give you all your local retailers that carry the product. It is a very DIY friendly product so if you install it yourself you save the professional installation costs which are usually about $2.00-$2.50 a s/f. I would also recommend watching the online installation video to get comfortable with installing it if you plan on doing it yourself but it is so easy to do. I installed about 200 sf in my home office and it took about 3 hours and had furniture back on it that same afternoon. The cost of the tile, grout and underlayment varies but it should be somewhere near $4-5.00. With tradditional tile you buy the tile for $1-2.00 but then you add concrete board, thin set, trowels, spacers, wet saw, mixing grouts, sealers...all that stuff adds up to big cost not to mention its difficult for a do-it-yourself to put in traditional tile. Edge takes all the headaches out of the equation, you simply lock the panels together and grout with the pre-mixed grout and you've got you're new ceramic tile floor complete with a 25 year warranty. Good luck and hit me back if you have additional questions.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:38 AM   #6
Handyman

Alright Sammy and EdgeMan I am going to give it a try, from my research it does sound like a fantastic product. I have watched the install video and it seems relativly straight forward, any extra tips or insight would be appreciated. I am going to run with it through out my basement which is the kids game room and play area. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:11 PM   #7

Edgeman, Currently I have ceramic tile in my foyer/entryway. Would I have to pull the existing ceramic up before applying the Edge Flooring? Also, based on the picture below, how much do you think the project would cost (for everything).

polar5554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 03:16 PM   #8

You absolutly can go over the existing ceramic with Edge, that's what makes it such a great product it can go over almost any exisitng flooring. From the picture (if the squares are 1' x 1') it looks to be about an 8 x 12 or about 100-110 sf with the closet. You should measure it out and add another 10% for waste which is standard for any tile. Or you could go to the website and put in the measurments and it will give you a breakdown of all the material you'll need. Should be $600 depending on the product selected...a little less for some a little more for others but that gives you a fair refrence point. You can go to the Edge website at www.edgeflooring.com and find a retailer close to you. If you're at 100 or so sf You'd need to pick up one Edge blade to cut it, a Z-fold package of underlayment (100 sf coverage), 5 canisters of the grout, enought tile (10 sf per ctn or 5 panels), and any transitions you might need. Watch the install video before you do it but it's pretty simple, you lock it together and hit it with the pre-mixed grout and your set. I recommend an Epoxy grout float to use for the grouting process, you can pick one up at Lowes or Depot. Other than that you're all set. Hit me back if you have any additional questions.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:32 PM   #9

UKMatt best tips I could give you is watch the install video. Make sure to leave 1/4" expansion joint around the perimeter of room and any vertical objects like kitchen islands etc. When grouting use an epoxy grout float and work in 4-6 ft area applying grout and hitting it with the grout float. Then follow it up with a very rung out sponge to remove any excess residue and make a crisp joint. Make sure sponge is good and rung out since to much water into the grout joint will inpead curing of grout and make it look pock-marked. If you ever need to touch up a grout joint the grout will bond to cured grout so if you ever have to touch up a spot you can. It never needs to be sealed and is totally water-roof and stainproof. In wet areas like bathrooms and landry rooms I recommend sealing the 1/4" expansion perimeter joint with the grout to create a water tight apllication. It's really easy and a very forgiving product to work with. Good luck, and let me know how it goes.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:45 PM   #10

My concern about the product is based on these reviews on the Edge Floor Product:
using Lowes edge precision flooring
Old 10-29-2007, 04:19 PM   #11

Yeah those are the one's dated from 2004 and early '05 before they changed ownership, managment, and reformulated the product...those posts are correct the product didn't perform up to par. The product that's been out the past 2+ years is what builders like Crosswinds, Epcon, Lambardo Homes, All American Homes etc etc are using every day without the first issue. Our most recent major job were the dorms of Vanderbilt University...I know they did their homework before they spent that kind of money. I don't see any complaint from the past 2+ years and Edge sells millions of square footage nationally and internationally. Also check out the latest Flip That House and Designing Spaces episodes for them raving about the product. I understand your concern but it's not nearly the same product or company that was put out there in '04 at Lowes. Also the stuff sold at Lowes was Precision Tile...Precision Tile ceased to exist after '05 but product issues and complaints relating to that product were handled by the new ownership and managment as they came up but it was the Lowes Precision tile stuff. So even though the product was flawed they still honored valid complaints of the old company after they took ownership. Now they have a flawless product and are doing quit well with it and without issues. Hope that helps.

Last edited by EdgeMan; 10-29-2007 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Precision Tile comment.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:39 PM   #12

Yes it does help. Thanks for clearing up my reservations on the product.
I am definately going to look into this.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:11 PM   #13
HJ1
tile man

Rewards Points: 25

Listen up.

Before you buy this crap check out this thread. It started in 2004 and is still going in 2007.

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...1&page=1&pp=15

Also do a google search on this stuff. Theres one nightmare story after another.
HJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:37 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 75

Talk about walking into a ambush......lol.....
localtradesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:27 PM   #15
Handyman

I've checked those out HJ and all material was sold through Lowes even the complaints that were more recent they were still bought a few years ago, it's that percsion tile crap. Anyway from all my checking I am confident in the new product enough to buy 300 sf this week and drop $1,300. Edge was the only answer for my situation, I wanted tile and have a concrete sealer down called Dry-Core (sp) and nothing will stick to it, it's like teflon. So since Edge floats I can still do tile and put it in myself to save the high install rates. I will have the fun job of installing it over the weekend so i will let you know. The McSwains store here in Ohio is a top retail store in the country and they swear by it so it was good enough for me. They were my 4th store I stopped in and all stores reported no complaints the past two plus years...actully none of them had it when the issues were going on so they had nothing but good things to say. At the risk of sounding like a "plant" or company man I will say I did my homework and have put my money where my mouth is and I feel confident it will work well for me. Thanks for the warning flare but I could not find one retailer that had a problem so I am running with it. If it ends up biting me in the tail end you better believe I will be back on here to report it. Thanks again.

Advertisement