DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Easy way to reseal (?) wood floors?

9K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  rcuerrier 
#1 ·
I have a pretty novice question that I was hoping someone would be able to help me with. My husband and I been renting an old Victorian house for the last 5 years, and haven't heard a peep from the landlord since a month or two after moving in. We just deposit the rent into his bank account--it's great! However, we're both young and neither of us had ever lived in a home with wood flooring, so we really had no idea how to take care of it. Though the floors are fine in the bedroom and hallway (a few scratches here and there from the dog and/or moving furniture, but nothing serious), the livingroom/diningroom floor has definitely suffered, and were not sure what steps we should take to protect it from future abuse. To us, it looks as though whatever varnish/sealant/wax that was originally on the dining floors has mostly worn away in spots. We would like to reapply some sort of a sealant, but we rent, so we definitely don't want to go through the efforts for a "real" sealing, but is there a product out there that we can just apply to the flooring to make it more water-proof, and then maybe just put some area rugs over it? There's definitely some hair/dirt/pine needles caught under the sealing (or whatever) in the bedroom, so I don't think that my landlord is particularly picky about how super-properly the job is done. We're just somewhat fearful of spilling grape juice one of these days and ruining the whole floor. :eek:
Oh, by the way--I don't know what the original sealant is. Is there an easy way to find out?

Thanks so much in advance~ :thumbup:

See less See more
#2 ·
If it's an old house, as you've suggested, and the floor is original the finish could be anything (wax, oil, urethane.)

There are some tale-tell signs that might help determine what you're dealing with, but it may be advisable to either call the landlord to see if they know or to call in a professional to help make that call.

If it's an oil or wax finish the job shouldn't be too bad, lots of work but not necessarily a big expense. If it a urethane floor you may be into some refinishing work and will spend a bit more.

Defer this one to a pro (at least to find out what you're dealing with!):thumbsup:

#3 ·
Home Depot

Home Depot has a new product"As seen on TV" that you can apply right over your hardwood flooring. You need to confirm that it is a eurathane finish(not wax). Usually if it shines in corner that not walked on, you are ok. Will bring up new finish...cost I think around 21 bucks.

#4 ·
Home Depot has a new product"As seen on TV" that you can apply right over your hardwood flooring. You need to confirm that it is a eurathane finish(not wax). Usually if it shines in corner that not walked on, you are ok. Will bring up new finish...cost I think around 21 bucks.

Russman, have you seen this product work? I've had a few customers come in because they bought a product similar to what you're describing from HD and we're now looking for someone to refinish the whole thing (weren't happy with the end result.)

Let me know! It's likely an application error on their part, but not being familiar with the product it's hard for me to comment on it apart from what I've been told.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.