Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2011, 09:43 AM   #1

Share |

easy way to lighten up dark hardwood floors?

Hi, thx for reading my post!
I bought an old cottage about five years ago, pulled up disgusting old carpeting, linoleum tile and had the floors sanded and stained a dark cherry or mahogany color. What we didn't realize is how dark the house is, and the floors just make it a dark depressing hole. Also, the people that did it left pools of poly in spots and it's getting really worn in high traffic areas.
I wanted to know if there is a relatively easier way to remove the dark stain than using a big sanding machine. i've tried to convince my husband to let me paint them a light color, but he is pretty hell bent against it, especially since we have three dogs running around..... I would be happy with anything lighter than what we have, the floors are heart pine I'm told and a really pretty color stripped. (the team left them unfinished under a built in bookcase for some reason) is there any product that will strip off the thin poly and stain and let me seal or whitewash the bare wood? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm going for that shabby chic, beachy cottage look.

Amberwilldoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:06 AM   #2
Tileguy

easy way to lighten up dark hardwood floors?

Probably sanding is the only way.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote