Easy Advice To Revive Hardwood Floor. Help! - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-02-2011, 11:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Easy advice to revive hardwood floor. Help!

I just leased a rental in a very old building with hardwood floors and trim. I've spent the last two weekends painting, and had a few mishaps. On top of this, previous paint jobs have left their mark on my baseboards which I absolutely hate.

It's only a rental, and I really don't want to invest in a big job, but I really enjoy having nice floors. Unfortunately, the varnish is chipping off, it's splotchy, and a few attempts at cleaning off the paint has proven damaging (one website said rubbing alcohol would work, another white vinegar, but both have caused damage).

I haven't a clue what to do to make my floors look nice and presentable. I've researched creating a homemade stripper with cornstarch, water, baking soda, ammonia, and vinegar. But after I strip it, do I just varnish? Do I need to stain? How big of a job am I undertaking in doing this?

Is there a simple, cheap, and fairly quick resolution to making my floors look somewhat presentable? What can I do to make my floors look good again?

Advertisement

Tamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:02 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Easy advice to revive hardwood floor. Help!

A friend just suggested spray buffing... is that safe for all finishes? I'm nearly positive it's a varnish because it is flaking.

Advertisement

Tamber is offline   Reply With Quote