Easiest Way To Clean Cement Floor - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-28-2010, 09:27 PM   #1
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

Easiest way to clean cement floor

I want to look at painting my basement so I can walk on it barefoot. Right now it's so dirty and dusty I need to wear slippers. It has lot of drywall dust from construction and due to the roughness of the floor, nothing will take it off completely. I can broom and vacuum all I want, but there's always more.

What would be a good way to clean this so I can paint it? I've even gotten on my knees and scrubbed with water, while I don't want to do anything manual to that extent, I tried it. No go.

Advertisement

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:47 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,238

Hi Red,

I do not recommend painting a floor, stain it instead. Paint may peel, and will surely wear in the high traffic areas and look bad. Then if you want to tile it one day, you're in trouble.

Use concrete stain that can be used indoors safely. However, if you plan to finish the basement in the near future, just wear slippers a bit longer.

Jaz

Advertisement

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:15 PM   #3
Wire Chewer

How will stain look though? I know if the floor is very flat it can actually look very nice, but what about a rough floor? Look is not a HUGE issue, but I want it half decent. Eventually I will finish it, but that will probably be in many years from now. The only thing I plan to do in the next year or so is the server room.

My parents had painted their basement and it lasted for years. I used to play down there as a kid. Roller blades, bike, the works. They eventually finished the basement and got tiles installed in the washroom, floating floor in one area, carpet in another. Not sure how the tiles were done though, I suppose the contractor had to strip all that paint off. But you're saying with stain, it would not have to be pealed off?

Posted a few pics just to give an idea of the floor. First one is the main basement area, other pic is part of laundry room and crawlspace. This part is less rough but still has some rough spots.
Attached Thumbnails
Easiest way to clean cement floor-dsc03392.jpg   Easiest way to clean cement floor-dsc03395.jpg  
Old 10-29-2010, 04:54 PM   #4
Wire Chewer

I'm even thinking, air compressor and shop vac, think that would work? Just need a way to get that dust out of all the micro cracks of the floor. Water just makes mud and just spreads it around.

Actually, if I get everything out of there, and get a hose, could I just hose it down and vacuum it with the wet vac? Only thing is I'd be emptying that thing like every 2 minutes...