DuraCeramic Over Ceramic Tile? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2009, 10:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

DuraCeramic over Ceramic tile?

I have searched the Congoleum WEbsite and talked to sales people, but nobody can give me the skinny on what's the best method of installing something over a ceramic floor tile that is stuck down great, but is not very level. The tile has a gloss to it and many grouts lines because it is a small, 2 x 4" tile. Congoleum has the floating flor subsurface available, but on some other web sights I've read that the tile is brittle and will crack if not on a perfectly flat floor. Here's my question: can I flatten the ceramic with a leveler without etching the sheen first, or am I better off using ceramic and making up for the uneveness with the thinset than bothering with the DuraCeramic? sue

Advertisement

SueC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:18 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,576

Sue you would be wasting your time and good money trying to scab over what is already there. Take it all out and get back to a surface you can work with. Heaping floor coverings atop floor coverings is never a good idea.

Advertisement

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:23 PM   #3

Hey Sue. I install dura ceramic and have done so for a couple years now. In my own house I had ceramic tiles in the basement hall and washroom. I leveled it out with a polymer floor leveler, 3 coats did it, and put down dura. It looks awesome and you could never tell that ceramic is under it. If you have any uneveness in your floor, just heat the tiles and they will form to the floor. It will be way way easier and a lot less mess than trying to take out the ceramic. Hope this helps. Dan
dan wylde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:49 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

Take it up Sue. The Dura whatever will not last forever then you will have to rip up everything anyway....I think you will find it will take less time, albiet more energy, to rip up the tile

Heating tiles to bend them over an uneven floor is a bad idea
mike costello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:42 PM   #5

Well Mike, obviously you know nothing about "dura whatever". I didnt say to bend the tiles, read it again, I said heat them to form to the floor. You shou;ld stay behind your desk and do your paperwork! Oh, and Dura whatever has a lifetime wear warranty on residential. They are not just vinyl tiles!

Last edited by dan wylde; 04-16-2009 at 05:45 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:05 PM   #6

Umm 26 year installer that is still installing in the field here and I can guarantee I have installed more of both DuraStone and Duraceramic than most.. In fact I have taught classes for both Congoleum and Armstrong on residential and commercial resilient installation

Heating them to conform to an uneven subfloor is bending them sorry to say. It is also not recommended by the manufacturer. There is a grade tolerance for installing these tiles .

You may consider looking up specs before offering incorrect advice.

Also layering a vinyl based product over an uneven ceramic product in my opinion is just plain lazy. Rip it out

Sorry folks didnt mean to hijack the thread just setting the record straight
Old 04-16-2009, 07:43 PM   #7

you do it your way, I'll do it mine. These tiles are limestone composite and for the little that they have to so called Bend, does not affect the istall. The adhesive is very strong and can handle a slight flex.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:39 PM   #8

Congoleum will be thrilled to hear that.

Didnt mean to come off combative but you did bring my integrity into play
Old 04-16-2009, 08:45 PM   #9

If you religiously went by all the manufactures instructions and fine print on all flooring, you would never get a job done, and if you have installed for 26 years, then you know this already. They will go to great lengths to protect against every possible scenario. Experience tells me that there is more than one way to do anything.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:18 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
If you religiously went by all the manufactures instructions and fine print on all flooring, you would never get a job done,
Sure you would...and not only that, but when it's done...it's really done.

Is it possible to go out of bounds with recommendations and still be fine?

Sure.

But the professionals rarely do...if ever.
Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:07 AM   #11
Wood Worker

Thumbs up

Here is how it can be done with no problems:
First you have to skimcoat the tile so that the grout and the tile are smooth. Once this occurs then you would want to lay down the underfloor, which is a felt like underlayment. Then you can install the duraceramic tiles over the ceramic tile..
Great Floor Great choice.. you will love it!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement

RiverOaks is offline   Reply With Quote