Duraceramic? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-02-2009, 06:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

duraceramic?

Has anyone had any experience with duraceramic installation? Is it better to install it with grout or without grout? if without grout is installation as secure as with grout? Can this go over sheet vinyl? Thanks.

Advertisement

nuchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:22 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,576

duraceramic?

If installing Duraceramic without grout the seams must all be sealed with their special seam sealer.

Not a good idea to install any floorcovering over a previous floorcovering.

Advertisement

Old 09-02-2009, 09:48 PM   #3

duraceramic?

thanks for the info guess we'll have to take the sheet vinyl up in the kitchen first
nuchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:49 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

duraceramic?

maybe just lay 1/4 underlay over the Vinyl. trust me...that's a ton easier....
Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:33 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

duraceramic?

We just had Stainmaster groutable vinyl tile installed, it is manufactured by Mannington and there are several Mannington pattterns also. Others on the board swear by the Konecto vinyl time products saying the better/best of these are even heavier duty than the Mannington/Stainmaster products.

The installer who did our Stainmaster vinyl tile had nothing good so say about the Duraceramic products. He said the wear layer will completely separate from the tile. Maybe this only happens if the 16x16 tiles are broken apart into four 8x8 tiles (which sounds like a bad idea from the get-go to me). He said the Duraceramic has earned a bad reputation with local installers, whereas he has not had a single call-back on a Stainmaster/Mannington job in the three years he has been installing this product.

I know this is mostly hear-say, but ask around and get as many opinions as possible.

p.s. - My wife completely removed the previous sheet vinyl and luan underlayment by herself while I was at work! Score heavily into 3ft x 3ft squares, then pry off the floor using a floor scraper and/or Wonder Bar. The luan will snap on the score lines giving you easy to handle pieces for disposal.

Last edited by MI-Roger; 09-07-2009 at 12:37 PM.
MI-Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:02 AM   #6

duraceramic?

We had professionals put the dura ceramic down in our kitchen and because the linoleum that was already down was in good shape and very secure it was not necessary to take it up. They laid it rite on top. That was a year ago and so far has been fine.
Turbinwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:38 AM   #7
Tileguy

duraceramic?

Quote:
...and because the linoleum that was already down was in good shape and very secure it was not necessary to take it up.
That's because they wanted to blow-out your job to get your money and run to the next job.

Quote:
Not a good idea to install any floorcovering over a previous floorcovering.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:50 AM   #8

duraceramic?

Had our kitchen DC floor installed 3 years ago. An underlayment was also put down over the subfloor. Now nail heads are popping up through the tile, making bubbles & eventually cracking the ceramic finish on the tiles. How can I fix this? I have only 9 tiles that match & probably 12-15 that have bubbles in them? It was installed by a ceramic professional installer. I love the floor except for this.
Marcia020943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:43 AM   #9
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,292

duraceramic?

Wasn't much of a pro if he used nails. Most pros quit nailing underlayment 30 years ago. Stapling is standard and better. Not much you can do to fix it. I am sure there isn't a warranty after 3 years.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:23 PM   #10
Tileguy

duraceramic?

Quote:
An underlayment was also put down over the subfloor. Now nail heads are popping up through the tile, making bubbles & eventually cracking the ceramic finish
There is NO "ceramic finish". If you were under that impression you have been taken on a dark-ride by somone.

Quote:
How can I fix this?
You can not fix it. Nails should never have been used to install the underlayment. Galvanized staples are used.

Quote:
It was installed by a ceramic professional installer.
No it wasn't!
Old 04-09-2011, 10:29 PM   #11

duraceramic?

OK now what do I do? He said he'd take up some tiles & try to use screws to tighten the underlay & see if that w/stop the bubbles coming up. I don't know if we should try that or not, or just write the entire floor off & start all over again. A VERY expensive lesson for me. I even printed out all the DuraCeramic installation instructions & gave it to him --which he just handed back to me. OBVIOUSLY didn't read them. I'm getting nervous about letting him try to even fix it. Do you think he can?

Advertisement

Marcia020943 is offline   Reply With Quote