Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-28-2008, 06:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

dull edges on laminate floor planks

Hi, I'm new here. I just put a laminate floor in my office and noticed that some (most) of the planks have about a 1 inch wide area ar the edge that is very dull. At first I thought I burned them with the miter saw because it seemed like they were pretty hard to cut. Then I realized that I didn't cut all those joints. I pulled from 7 boxes so I don't think it is a manufacturer problem. You can only see it when the light hits it just right. Any ideas of what it is or how to fix it?

tonya499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:19 AM   #2

Tonya,
Not sure..few possibles: Could it be the way light in room hits the floor causing shading or shadows? Is there some sort of protective film or reside on those planks? Seems odd that you've got this issue over 7 boxes of material. I'd call up the local manufacture rep for an on site visit. If it's a material defect it'll be up to the company as to what to do about it. Good luck!

Skipperjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:43 PM   #3
onlinehandyman

Rewards Points: 75

Tonya,

Sounds like a manufacturers defect. I know you are talking about several boxes, but maybe the entire lot was bad. I have seen stuff like this before, it happens. You should definitely get in touch with your retailer and the manufacturer - they usually send a rep down. Did you not notice it while you were installing in. We handle it all the time and saw it right away - that's a shame! Call them. Good luck!

Scott
onlinehandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:55 PM   #4
MN

Certain laminates, usually higher end, can have wax impregnated or coated tongue and groove. I have seen where the wax will "overspray" or however it's applied, and get onto the top or bottom of the board and transfer to each other when they are packaged and stacked.
This usually wipes off with a dry cloth or maybe a little mineral spirits.
If it is a consistent "stripe", I have seen this happen with Alloc's metal locking mechanism, which sits slightly lower than the bottom of the plank.
Whether it is a bit of aluminum residue. or what I am not sure, but it did wipe off and disappear with time.
You should post which brand it is, and which style. The manufacturing process can make a difference.
Good luck

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 01-02-2009 at 06:03 PM. Reason: SITE RULES VIOLATION: Advertising Link Removed from Signature Line
TileAndTimber is offline   Reply With Quote