Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2012, 09:47 PM   #1

Share |

Dug up the carpet, no hardwood beneath... thoughts about laminate preparation?

Our 2 bedrooms have hardwood, but the hallway and dining area evidently don't. We ripped up the carpet and there seemed to be some sort of black stuff in between that looks like it acted as the adhesive barrier. I used a paint scraper to get the bulk of it off, then resorted to sanding. The stuff sands into ultra fine dust, almost looking like black sand.

During this process, I've realized what a royal PITA it is to get this black stuff off and whatever is underneath 100% stripped. We're aiming to do some sort of hardwood-looking laminate, but I want to make sure I do it right while everything is gutted. That has me questioning a few things.

1 - Do I continue sanding/stripping the black stuff? Is it likely that it will interfere with getting a good adhesion from the laminate?

2 - What if I simply ripped up whatever the black stuff is connected to and lay a new base? Of course, it'd likely cost more, but I wonder if that's the more logical route.

I've never really done flooring... but I'm open to ideas, advice, etc. Any and all help is appreciated!

roasted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:55 PM   #2

A lot depends on if you want a cheap plastic looking floor or one that looks like real wood because it is.

Take a look at engineerd flooring, almost as eazy to install as laminite, can be refinished, soild feeling when walking on it, prefinished, really long lasting finish, comes in dozens of differant styles and woods.

It's also thicker so you would not have to deal with the big step where it meets your old floor.

Laminite and engeener floor does not have to be glued down to the subfloor.

You should be using a razer blade floor scraper not a putty knife, easer on your back.
http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...mb=cpCLpHoH11V
If your installing a floating floor there no need to get 100% off the floor. Just need to have no humps.

Last edited by joecaption; 04-21-2012 at 10:00 PM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:06 PM   #3

Oh... wait... with laminate here's no adhesive? At all? Do you just have to tack the floor "boards" down at certain points?

(can you tell I haven't done this before?)

I just assumed it was kind of like when I did the formica laminate covering on some computer work tables I built for the office... I used a gallon of contact cement on those darn things.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:10 PM   #4

Most of the laminate floor "float" over the entire area. You will need to make sure the existing floor is smooth. Some require an underlayment pad of sorts, not unlike what you are scraping up. Some require a thin foam pad. Either way you need to go to a big box store and look around. Good luck
Old 04-21-2012, 10:11 PM   #5

Laminite is a floating floor. no glue unless it's over a slab and even then only in the seams.
It's never nailed in any way.

Enineered floor gets nailed to the subfloor or it can just be glued at the seams.
http://www.armstrong.com/flooring/pr...ed/_/N-67oZ6wl

Last edited by joecaption; 04-21-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:17 PM   #6

http://video.search.yahoo.com/search...laminate+floor
Old 04-22-2012, 11:19 AM   #7

How do you guys feel about laminate flooring in bathrooms? Our bathroom had carpet that definitely had to go. We ripped it out and toyed with the idea of doing laminate there as well.

Some quick googling revealed some people opt not to do this in the bathroom, while others swear it's easy, convenient, and very long lasting. Most that voted for it also voted to run wood glue in the seams of each laminate joint to further seal it, along with leaving 1/4 inch gaps on the edges and filling them with caulk.

Thoughts on this?
Old 04-22-2012, 11:24 AM   #8

I would not do it. Far to likly to get water damage. Even rising moisture from a crawl space with no vaper barier can take out a laiminte floor.
It's also suppost to float, how's it going to do that with a toilet bolted down to it?