Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2011, 11:19 PM   #1

Share |

Drylok over a concrete slab?

I am getting ready to put down laminated flooring over a mish mash of concrete slabs in my studio apartment. I am going to use the manufacture recommended plastic underlayment but wanted to seal the slab first to help keep the moisture vapor at bay.

I was thinking of using Drylok but am a little worried that it is not going to stick to some portions of the slab. I have ground all the old paint off of these areas but water still beads up on top of the slab in fact no amount of grinding seems to make the slab let water in. I assume that it was sealed at some time in the past.

Am I worried for no reason or is this going to be a problem? Is there an etch I can use to make this work? Should I be using a different product for this application? Was thinking of a potassium silicate product but the guy at the local concrete specialty shop told me that after using potassium silicate nothing will stick to the floor ever again.

Thanks for any help.

Dave

Dave K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:48 AM   #2
Doer of Many Things

If you really want to put a stop to moisture migration you need to use the proper product. Drylock is not it. An epoxy product like Chapco Defender will go down in a single application and hold back quite a bit of moisture. It's meant for the kind of application you are talking about.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:52 PM   #3

The Chapco Defender looks great but a little out of my price range. The best thing I could find in my budget was MVR 8000 by Para Chem

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c....t.A/id.3607/.f

Does anyone have experience with this product?

Thanks

Dave
Old 08-30-2011, 05:50 AM   #4
Doer of Many Things

What's your budget and where are you at? I've got a few kits of Defender left off a job I could get to you at a steep discount. I need to get rid of it before it expires anyway. I'll take a look at the other one for you when I get a chance.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:10 AM   #5

Thanks for the offer but at this point I am going to throw in the towel on the laminated flooring and just tint the slab and call it done.

Thanks

Dave
Old 08-31-2011, 05:47 AM   #6
Doer of Many Things

Nothing wrong with that. Stained concrete is popular right now. I'd be hesitant on laminate anyway with that much variation in subfloor. You probably don't have a completely level surface to start with.