Dry Rot Cottage Bathroom Floor - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2010, 09:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Dry rot cottage bathroom floor

I am in the midst of ripping up rotted cottage bathroom flooring. Before i install a new floor i wonder if you guys could give me some tips on avoiding this in the future.

my bathroom is vented with a good fan that vents quite well. The toilet is on a separate valve that we only turn on when the tank needs filling and off before flushing the tank, thereby avoiding the sweating tank issue.

My shower was in part the culprit as the door swings out and dripped continuously on the floor. I am replacing the shower with a model whose door swings in or sideways to illiminate this spillage source.

My existing floor has 4 inches of foam spray insulation between the floor joyce below the subflooring. On top of the joyce is a vapor barrier and then the sub flooring.

i plan on installing cedar planking on top of 3/4 inche ply which will in turn be installed on top of the sub flooring.

question - is the vapor contributing to the dry rot and do i really need the vapor barrier on the floor.

question 2 - should I consider using the orange barrier material so often seen on holmes show. I cannot use tile on the floor as the cottage does move and shift and the tile would be cracked within one season.

thanks for any advise....

Advertisement

Douglas James is offline   Reply With Quote