Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-22-2010, 12:52 PM   #1

Share |

drum sander?

Hi,

I've recently laid down utility oak flooring in my master bedroom and am ready move on to the finishing phase. The floor will definitely need a good sanding before I proceed. A lot of the seams between the flooring planks have an uneven feel to them (especially considering the grade of flooring I chose).

My question is...would I need to use a drum flooring sander to even them out, or could I get away with just an orbital floor sander w/ 80 grit?

Thanks in advance!

moneypitowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:49 PM   #2
Handyman

drum sander?

I'm sure a pro floor refinisher will chime in soon with better advice but personally I wouldn't use an orbital sander. I used one years ago and after staining you could see squiggly marks that weren't visible when the floor was bare. If its just small areas, you can probably get away with a belt sander but drum sander is best to ensure eveness.

If you're uncomfortable using a drum sander, you can also rent a sander which basically lies flat on the floor and needs less attention to avoid drum marks. Also, its usually square and will allow you to get into corners.

Last edited by canadaclub; 07-22-2010 at 01:50 PM. Reason: typo
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:49 PM   #3

drum sander?

Thanks for the response. I think you're right...I was just thinking of a way to save $ by possibly skipping the drum sander rental since I'm "finishing" floors instead of "refinishing" floors.
moneypitowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:49 PM   #4
Handyman

drum sander?

my pleasure but give it time...these people's opinions are worth waiting for. I believe the box store rentals call the square sanders "orbital sanders" but in my exprience, the pad moves up, down and side to side.
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:23 PM   #5

drum sander?

The large square orbital sander is what you want.
Start with the heaviest grit they offer and move up one grit at a time. Do not skip any grits to get to the level of finish you need.
Last time I did a floor, about 400 sq ft took 4 hours and about $150 worth of rental and pads, but it was a nicer job than the drum sander would have done. I sanded twice at 36 grit, then twice at 60 grit and once for 80, 100, 120 and 150.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:27 PM   #6

drum sander?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
Do not skip any grits to get to the level of finish you need.

I sanded twice at 36 grit, then twice at 60 grit and once for 80, 100, 120 and 150.
I always wondered, What happens if you do? I'm not much into finishes.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:54 PM   #7
nap
You talking to me?

drum sander?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
I always wondered, What happens if you do? I'm not much into finishes.
each successive grit is used to remove the scratches from the previous grit. You can jump from 36 all the way down to 150 if you want but you have to do a hell of a lot of sanding with the 150 to get the 36 grit sand marks out.

also, the courser grits tend to smooth (flatten) the overall surface better while the finer grits will tend to make that wave the 36 grit would take out, just a real smooth wave.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:35 AM   #8

drum sander?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
each successive grit is used to remove the scratches from the previous grit. You can jump from 36 all the way down to 150 if you want but you have to do a hell of a lot of sanding with the 150 to get the 36 grit sand marks out.

also, the courser grits tend to smooth (flatten) the overall surface better while the finer grits will tend to make that wave the 36 grit would take out, just a real smooth wave.
Thanks. I have a job like that in my future.

The HO used her dining room table as an ironing board and left horseshoe shaped stains in the finish. It'll be two hours just getting down to bare wood.

Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote