Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #1

Share |

Dricore or this.....

Im getting to the point where Im starting to plan out my flooring for my basement. We were thinking of throwing down Dricore but some of my mother in laws friends have said that they used the roll of dimple stuff they put on the outside of houses on the floor and then put TandG plywood overtop as a subfloor. After doing some math we found it would be roughly half the cost of dricore.

Our basement isnt wet and we rarely get more than a drop of water in the house. Just wondering what other opinions on using this other method would be and whether OSB rather than plywood would be a good option.

Thanks in advance.

ahrens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #2

Dricore or this.....

What's the plan for flooring?

Old 12-08-2013, 05:39 PM   #3

Dricore or this.....

most likely laminate flooring
Old 12-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #4

Dricore or this.....

House location?

Gary
Old 12-08-2013, 06:12 PM   #5

Dricore or this.....

Not my house, but laminate would be one of my last choices in a basement.
Engineered flooring could be installed as a floating floor over a vapor barrier.
Tile could used right over the slab.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:13 PM   #6

Dricore or this.....

Gary, Im in southwestern ontario canada. so fairly cold. Its a walkout basement as well.

Joe. I did think about just going with a floating floor over some vapour barrier but the floor is rather cold and we are thinking that without some sort of space between concrete and the floor
Old 12-09-2013, 12:11 AM   #7

Dricore or this.....

I would be concerned with spring/summer floor temperatures; http://www.epa.gov/athens/learn2mode...enrys_map.html

It would be warmer- the deeper the basement is below grade, 6' down is about 10*F warmer; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...bef2a9fb9809f2

IMO, use a foam board first, before plywood for warmer feet, as in the previous link. Here is another way with plywood, fig.2; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...bef2a9fb9809f2

This would help with heat loss at the perimeter of the slab unless you know there is fb under it. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...hj_I6fU2ymaUSA

Gary
Old 12-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #8

Dricore or this.....

I used the platon floor system in my basement and my brother's. Its a good
system that is meant to take the chill off of the floor by providing an air gap. All of those dimples make the air gap that also serves to keep any moisture in the slab from
being trapped. Same result as the foam, but different process.

If you have a floating floor, there's no need for the plywood. Use landscape fabric over the slab underneath the platon to stop the platon from clicking or making noise as it makes contact with the concrete. Then lay the platon, tape the seams, lay your roll underlayment, and finally your floor.

iminaquagmire is offline   Reply With Quote