DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Dogs and Floors

11K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  IceT 
#1 ·
I have dogs , asthma and carpet. Not a great combination. I do not have heated floors. I have forced air.

I have got to find something that will hold up to a bunch of dogs running in and out all the time, floors getting wet as they drag in snow and rain from the grass. And of course there's always the new puppy that goes wee wee wee.

I have looked at Pergo Select tiles and Durastone and Dupont real touch elite in maple finish.(It's the one laminent that does not look so fake.) I won't be doing any installing myself. I like tile but it's too cold where I live (we have a lot of snow). I plan to sell in 3 years and build but right now I hate these floors.

Any suggestions from people that have a bunch of dogs for what will hold up without spending a fortune? I have about 1500 feet of flooring to cover.The salemen tell me the laminent will be fine in baths and kitches but I am skeptical.

I want something that will look great a few years from now , not just at install.
We are not "do it yourselfers" No talent in that department.
Oh...did I also mention I am a clean freak and can not stand for the hosue to look or smell like I have pets? help....suggestions appreciated.

Everything is very expensive where I live.

See less See more
#2 ·
Tile is the best floor for you to "live on" without worry, but you are right, it is cold and hard.
Sheet vinyl is waterproof, but not as durable as lam.

There are tons of homes with lam up here in alaska. Not alot of grass, but lots of snow :)

Pergo SELECT
Wilsonart ESTATE
Armstrong AMERICAN DUET
Quickstep 800 SERIES

all these lam are the highest in the industry and will perform very well, or at least as well as can be expected.
long standing water can still affect them, but since you are a clean freak, then that will help. But you can still have some issues with lam, that you may not have with vinyl or tile.

It's a give n take.

#3 ·
1- What kind of dogs do you have?
2- Do they come and go through one door or many areas of the house?
3- Is it feasible to tile some of the area, where they could shake off the outside and dry up, then have the living
areas carpeted so you can enjoy a warmer floor?

Carpet is a good idea,IMO, for people with asthma. I would definately consider a true spill protecting pad. These come with a plastic film over it which blocks liquid penetration into the padding. This way when the carpet gets wet it is much easier dried. Not to be confused with paddings that are simply treated to fight oders, and lack the plastic covering.

Otherwise, tile or the best wood or laminate you can afford, keeping in mind the price of a quality installer. But thats a whole other thread.

good luck,
Don

#4 ·
Carpet is a good idea,IMO, for people with asthma.
I would say you are mistaken.
And I rarely find mistakes in your statements.

Perhaps it was a misprint :)

My wife and daughter both have severe asthma. We rent right now, so we are forced to live on carpet. We have a HEPA vacuum right now and that helps, but when we buy our house, most of the carpet will be OUTTA THERE! :)
It holds dust regularly...bad stuff for them.
Dust will settle on lam and wood, but can easily be swiffered and gone....

good for asthma sufferers.

#5 ·
Flor, I knew that would raise some eyebrows. No it's not a misprint and I'm sure of what I speak. I'm actually in the process of writing an article on IAQ and flooring for some other things. Give me a couple of hours and I'll have laid it out for you.

I'll say at this point that there are alot of misconceptions out there regarding this issue that need to be cleared up.

I'll probably start a new thread for it so keep your eyes open.

Don

#7 ·
Flor, I agree. My daughter had asthma ( juvenal). We eliminated almost everything that could collect dust and pet dander. We did not eliminate the pets (2 cats and a large German Shepard). We tiled the whole house and installed a $3500 filtration system.
Sarah is currenently in the second year of her Masters program at the University of Vienna and has overcome he asthma.r

#8 ·
I will be interested in some input on the matter.
I know of some misconceptions in flooring, but I would be suprised if this is one of them.
I have been wrong before...........

My daughter and wife also are alergic not only to dust, but dust mites as well (most people who are allergic to dust are allergic to the mites themselves) and I know that carpet gives them a home, and hard surface gives them short term rental property.
The more you can easily clean them up, and the less of a shelter you give them, the better off you are.

But I am still interested in any other theories.

#10 ·
Dogs and Flooring

>>>>
Benhamcarpetguy said:
1- What kind of dogs do you have?

golden recliners

>>>>>2- Do they come and go through one door or many areas of the house?

They have a den door when their servant(ie me) opens the door when I am home, otherwise they go throught the doggie door in the garage that comes into the mudroom, then kitchen then other areas. They have full run of the house at all times.

>>>>3- Is it feasible to tile some of the area, where they could shake off the >>>>outside and dry up, then have the living
>>>>areas carpeted so you can enjoy a warmer floor?

Well right now the mudroom, kitchen of course in vinyl. I bought the most expensive stuff I could find but it wears quickly. I ripped out the elegant cream carpet 5 years ago on put berber with a waterproof pad. it looks great still and the waterproof pad is a must with pets.

>>>>Carpet is a good idea,IMO, for people with asthma.

Really? I find that a suprise to hear... What I like about the hard floors as oppsed to carpet is I can clean clean clean not hide hide hide stuff. That's also the down side as carpet hides a multitude of sins...or rather paw prints, dog hair etc.

#12 ·
Pergo

Pergo is GREAT for dogs. We installed in our house after going to a friends house and seeing how beautiful her floors were, despite having two large dogs. Held up great with our large dog too. Not one scratch.

Also, it is nice to walk on -- not cold or too hard, AND when I would drop a glass of water on it, the glass wouldn't break. If I dropped a glass on our tile in the kitchen, it shattered into a million tiny shards that I would find for days later.

Also, the house looked soooooo much cleaner -- not that our carpet was dirty, but just the shine on the nice "wood" floor really brightened the place up. Easy to care for -- dust mopped it everyday with a microfiber mop in just a few minutes.

#13 ·
Yes, carpet is a better option for asthma, because it will trap the microns and keep them from flying in the air.
That is a ridiculous statement.:censored:

Jaz

#14 ·
I concur. WAIT until you pull those carpets up and see what is underneath your pad. Frightening. I vacuumed 3 times a week (black dog, light carpet) but you still would not believe the fine, silt-like material that gets trapped in the carpet and works its way through the pad all the way to the slab/sub-floor. Carpet is gross and I will NEVER (God willing) have it in my house again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.