Does Grout Expire When Opened?? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-05-2010, 05:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

does grout expire when opened??

I have grout that I bought about 3 years ago and I used it...I had some left and I decided to re-grout some sections of my floor in which the grout was stained and uncleanable. I removed most of the old grout but now my new grouting job doesn't seem to have set properly? its still sandy and not hard.

Its not the grouting job or the mix...i'm just wondering why this is? is it the grout or someting else? the grout was stored in my garage for 3 years and was exposed to humidity from the summer months. I didn't seal the bag I just rolled it up.

Thanks,
Steve

Advertisement

Limit54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:23 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,254

Steve,

If you had store the grout in a conditioned room it would have been bad two and a half years ago. Grout has a shelf life of up to 1 year after it's made if unopened AND stored in a proper place. Once opened it'll go bad in a short while. Problem is that it often looks OK even after a few years.

Jaz

Advertisement

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:28 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

yeah Jazman thats what I thought. Well its not a big deal. I have a few small bags of leftover from jobs here and there I be throwing out now...at least i don't have to keep them around anymore.
Limit54 is offline   Reply With Quote