Does A Concrete Slab Floor Need To Be Level Prior To Tile Installation? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2014, 06:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 166

Does a concrete slab floor need to be level prior to tile installation?

I'm doing my kitchen remodel. I subbed out the tile work. I am in the process of removing the old linoleum. The tile guys are set to come out for a total of two days. I've only spoken to the flooring salesman. They specialize in floors only. He stated that the linoleum floors are usually level prior to installation, so he doesn't see a problem. He said he built in a little bit into the labor costs to cover any issues with the floor level. I'm not sure if the tile guys will even have time to try to level it. Will the thinset help level the floor? I've used self leveler in other areas of my house (this was for DIY wood flooring). I've read that the floor should be flat, but I need them level as well. It will help with the cabinet install. I want the cabinets to be level as possible due to the granite countertops.

Advertisement

Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:03 PM   #2
Rob

Rewards Points: 552

I think the tile guys will get the floor flat. You can level the cabinets with shims.

Advertisement

Robpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,696

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
I'm doing my kitchen remodel. I subbed out the tile work. I am in the process of removing the old linoleum. The tile guys are set to come out for a total of two days. I've only spoken to the flooring salesman. They specialize in floors only. He stated that the linoleum floors are usually level prior to installation, so he doesn't see a problem. He said he built in a little bit into the labor costs to cover any issues with the floor level. I'm not sure if the tile guys will even have time to try to level it. Will the thinset help level the floor? I've used self leveler in other areas of my house (this was for DIY wood flooring). I've read that the floor should be flat, but I need them level as well. It will help with the cabinet install. I want the cabinets to be level as possible due to the granite countertops.
This is so typical. Contractor doesn't want to be bothered coming to look at the job. Salesman says yada, yada, yada and there is no contract and possibly not a written proposal. Then the estimated 2 days becomes +++ and more $$$ are needed and, and on and on it goes with the end result being a disappointed home owner.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 686

Linoleum and tile does not need a level floor, it just needs to be flat and not flexing.
How does this guy even know what size, length of spans, spacing your floor joist are or what's there for a subfloor.
All that needed to be known before even thinking about installing tile.
Flexing floor = cracked tiles and grout.
JetSwet (06-07-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 11:49 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,616

This bears repeating because it is important and something tells me you aren't getting anything near a professional installation from these guys.

[QUOTE=joecaption;1358565]Linoleum and tile does not need a level floor, it just needs to be flat and not flexing.
How does this guy even know what size, length of spans, spacing your floor joist are or what's there for a subfloor.
Flexing floor = cracked tiles and grout.[/
QUOTE]
Old 06-03-2014, 12:28 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 624

This is a great post.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Linoleum and tile does not need a level floor, it just needs to be flat and not flexing.
Flexing floor = cracked tiles and grout.
It is a concrete slab floor. There are some minor low spots. Should I use self leveler? I guess I'm mixing up level with the floor being flat
Old 06-03-2014, 07:33 PM   #8
Rob

Rewards Points: 552

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
It is a concrete slab floor. There are some minor low spots. Should I use self leveler? I guess I'm mixing up level with the floor being flat
Don't use too much water when you mix it up. It may crack.
Robpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robpo View Post
Don't use too much water when you mix it up. It may crack.

I kind of regret DIY the floor removal. They were going to charge me 120 for the removal of linoleum and another 60 for floor prep. It was a pain to get all the adhesive up. I don't see how a two man crew could remove the old flooring, prep the floor, and install the tile in one day. The second day was scheduled for grout.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:39 PM   #10
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,244

Joists? What joists? We need to read mo better, and not worry about getting more posts answered.

I'm wondering how big an area this is since they only wanted to charge under $200 to remove and prep the floor. I wonder what's on the floor now that you removed the old sheet vinyl. Any pics?

Two days for the entire job? I too wonder how much time they'll spend prepping the slab.

Jaz

Advertisement

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote