Does Anyone Know What This Is Called? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2012, 10:13 PM   #1
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3
Rewards Points: 10

Does anyone know what this is called?

Hi- My bf and I are buying a house that was built in 1979 and it has this great tile in the entry way that is a bone color with what looks like sliced rocks in it. We need more as we are ripping out the old carpet and linoleum and I don't want to have 5 different types of flooring in the house


minmea123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:59 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer
rusty baker's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SW Missouri
Posts: 4,875
Rewards Points: 182

You'll never match that. Styles change constantly. Haven't see any of that in years.


The ads in my post are there without my permission. I do not endorse any of the products.
Semi-Retired Installer
Installing since 1973
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3
Rewards Points: 10

thanks Rusty- do you happen to know what that kind of tile is called?
minmea123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 11
Rewards Points: 10

Tile name

Hi Minmea123,
The tile you have is a "Terrazo" look.
I have found some similar, although not the same on:

Perhaps take a picture of one tile and use "tineye" to see if you can source it.

Tineye address:

It will do a search of your image for you.
Good Luck!

Tsal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:51 PM   #5
JazMan's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Troy, Michigan
Posts: 5,860
Rewards Points: 422

Hi everyone,

The tiles in question are agglomerate tiles. Matching would be impossible even if you had a bunch of spares in the closet.

Agglomerate tiles are manufactured by mixing graded marble or granite chips of various sizes with portland cement, polyester resin or epoxy.

Also read from Laticrete the manufacturer of setting products;

Looks like you may have an asphalt street/driveway or someone's shoes have oil residue from work perhaps.

TILE GUY - retired- TROY, MI - Method & Product suitability consulting.

JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:27 PM   #6
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3
Rewards Points: 10

Thank you so much! I see that it will indeed be difficult to find anything to match it- I may see if I can find some of a different color, just to keep some continuity, and I really love the look and feel of the tile.
minmea123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:22 PM   #7
DIY-Her's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 215
Rewards Points: 261

I remember that style of tile as well.
I would use Google image search as apposed to Tineye, for years I only found maybe 3 of my images stolen and used on business pages. When I started using Google Image search and the browser plugin "who stole my pictures" I probably found my images on 50 plus websites without my permission and even my copyright cloned out.

I now use Google image search for a lot of things, its great

I thought I remembered years ago that some of those tiles had was looked like a metal of sorts between the tile instead of the typical grout we use today?
DIY-Her is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #8
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10

It is a Terrazzo tile. There is usually a cement based and epoxy based. You can ask a local tiler or find a terrazzo tile manufacturer to match them for you as closely as possibly. You can even ask a local Terrazzo flooring specialist to mimic that for you in the form of jointless floor. Jointless floor's pro is that you won't have any dirty grouts and con is that it will be slightly more porous than your precast (tile) terrazzo but nothing you can't manage.

Hope this helps.


obsia is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is a group/flock of Blackbirds called? brokenknee Off Topic 13 08-31-2011 03:44 PM
I Called a Plumber, Now I really need Help! kswoot Plumbing 8 10-14-2008 07:57 PM
Flooring vs Subflooring (whatever it is called) lifeontherun Flooring 3 07-13-2008 03:03 PM
Flooring vs Subflooring or whatever it is called lifeontherun Flooring 10 07-09-2008 08:14 PM
What is this part of the gutter called? DanBress Roofing/Siding 4 11-04-2007 07:41 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1