Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #1

Share |

Do you believe this????

Hello,

We recently hired someone who promotes himself - on his website - has a person with great knowledge when it comes to flooring (hardwood, laminate, tile) and other things
This is what he did for my Bruce hardwood floor - Dundee plank (nailed down)
The 1st picture is how he left the house, telling my wife we could now put back the furniture
The 2nd one is what I had to do to fix his mess.....
How could he leave a house and think he has properly done the job !!!

Oh my god......Such a shame !!!
Attached Images

french_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #2

Do you believe this????

I agree that's messed up but I've never had any luck with Bruce flooring.
We have had to take whole boxes back because of all the defects.
Missing, split, broken tongues, curled, defective finish right out of the boxes, different widths in the same box, ECT.
A ratchet strap or a Pull bar sometimes helps to pull the pieces together that are off like that.
http://www.robertsconsolidated.com/p...sub=0&prod=156

Old 11-03-2013, 08:27 PM   #3

Do you believe this????

Yes, but I was able to fix it when he obviously couldn't (I used a prybar and a piece of wood to protect the drywall) and a 16 gauge air nailer
My point was more to say that this guy has no pride when he does a job like that, thinking it's OK......He should have told himself "No, I cannot decently do that"

But I agree about the Bruce hardwood, there were a lot of scrap for my taste (approximately 10%)
Problem is when I talked to Bruce/Armstrong, they redirected me to the store.
And the store said I will have to wait 3 days before they can send an inspector, and then depending on the decision, it will take 10 business days to get new boxes
Who can put this type of job on hold for almost 3 weeks?
Old 11-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #4

Do you believe this????

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I agree that's messed up but I've never had any luck with Bruce flooring.
We have had to take whole boxes back because of all the defects.
Missing, split, broken tongues, curled, defective finish right out of the boxes, different widths in the same box, ECT.
A ratchet strap or a Pull bar sometimes helps to pull the pieces together that are off like that.
http://www.robertsconsolidated.com/p...sub=0&prod=156
By the way, which brand do you recommend when it comes to solid hardwood floors?
Old 11-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #5
Tileguy

Do you believe this????

Unfortunately there's a lot of that kind of work being done these days. People are doing all types of flooring such as hardwood and tiles too. Generally hardwood guys don't also do tile. They cut the labor price to an amount that is lower than it was 20 years ago.

Did you ask him to return and fix it? Is he licensed? Hardwood installers and salespeople are supposed to be licensed in MI, it's the law. If not you don't have to pay them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by french_guy
By the way, which brand do you recommend when it comes to solid hardwood floors?
There are many good quality brands. I just did our main level this summer using Somerset. I will attest it is really good stuff. The cuts were almost perfect, (I do not give a "perfect" score to anything), the finish is as good or better than any fine furniture I've seen.

I installed it myself, so it went perfec........ah ah ah..... I mean it went well.

If you need more hardwood, let me know.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
Kacee (11-04-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 11:23 AM   #6

Do you believe this????

Yeah that is pretty terrible. It's sickening what these "professionals" (not all, I'm talking about the hacks!) try and get away with, pisses me off to no end. Didn't even bother trying to stagger the butt joints either. I'm curious to see what he did on the rest of the floor.

I'm a DIY'er and did my own floor with Bruce. I did find a lot of wood with the same issues as mentioned but all-in-all it came out very well.

What is the legality/morality of taking all the "bad" wood, stuffing it into one box, and returning it as unusable? I mean, if you could literally fill a box with lesser quality wood, that's a good amount of money being wasted.
Dave88LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #7

Do you believe this????

The rest of the room is not that bad, thank god. But I aksed him to leave an expansion gap all around the existing baseboards, and I even gave him the spacers just in case, but he didn't do it.....!!!! I had to remove the baseboards, and put new one above the hardwood. Now I have a gap that is at least the size of the old baseboards
He also didn't pay attention to some details - such as 3 small planks in a row, some butt joints not properly tighten, etc.....
But what he did on the last row is pretty awful.... I'm redoing the whole last raw anyway !!!

I think if I were to redo a room with solid hardwood, I will not buy Bruce anymore
I think my waste are not too far from 1 full box...... But the store was not very helpful !!!
Old 11-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #8

Do you believe this????

I've had great results with Bruce. Maybe it's a regional thing. Up here in northern Mass. Bruce is recognized as a decent quality, reasonably priced floor. I just finished another job with their 3-1/2" gunstock pre-finished floor. No quality issues at all.
But then again I buy my flooring from a small independent supplier that sells professional tools and equipment to tradesmen. Maybe their supply is different than the Bruce material that goes to Home Cheapo and Blowes.
Davejss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:36 AM   #9

Do you believe this????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davejss View Post
I've had great results with Bruce. Maybe it's a regional thing. Up here in northern Mass. Bruce is recognized as a decent quality, reasonably priced floor. I just finished another job with their 3-1/2" gunstock pre-finished floor. No quality issues at all.
But then again I buy my flooring from a small independent supplier that sells professional tools and equipment to tradesmen. Maybe their supply is different than the Bruce material that goes to Home Cheapo and Blowes.
Ha ha ha.....Home Cheapo and Blowes, I like that one
No, I went to a floor store, well known in the greater Detroit area (Riener in West Bloomfield)
Old 11-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #10

Do you believe this????

I also bought mine from an independent store in Maryland.
Dave88LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #11
Tileguy

Do you believe this????

Quote:
Ha ha ha.....Home Cheapo and Blowes, I like that one
No, I went to a floor store, well known in the greater Detroit area (Riener in West Bloomfield)
That's what us flooring guys call those big box stores. It's a well deserved nic.

I would say Riemer, (not Riener), is the #1 retail flooring company within our time zone, but, their reputation is greater than their service. I used to do some of their ceramic installations in the mid-'90's. It's a matter of perception, not reality, and perception is what counts.

To answer Dave's question on whether it would be morally correct to stuff all the bad wood in a box and return it as defective......... Yea, that would not be the ethical thing to try to do. Industry "Standards" say you should expect up to 5% "flawed" material in 1st quality goods. The flawed materials can/should be put aside for cuts and is therefore usable. An open box of flawed material is worthless.

But, a big box shopper might be able to get away with doing just that. Heck, they're so big they'll force the supplier to give them credit.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:42 AM   #12

Do you believe this????

Looks much better! Kind of looks like mold on your drywall. Did you check that corner out?

mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote