Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2007, 05:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Do these exist? (stone tiles that aren't square)

I'm about to be putting in a floor in each of the 2 bedrooms of a house that I'll (hopefully) be closing on on friday.

For flooring the rooms, we've considered carpet, tiles, and laminate wood pieces. I think we're gonna go tiles, but instead of getting the perfect square/rectangle tiles, I wanted to find odd shaped pieces, that I woudl basically 'puzzle' into place.

Do these exist for flooring? I've saw it in a movie lately and loved it. I actually built an exterior wall with the rocks I'm talking about, only they were real thick (~4''), so they wouldn't be suitable for flooring, we'd be falling down all the time lol.

Any info on what I'm looking for, if it even exists, would be greatly appreciated. I've checked lowes, home depot, and a carpet/tile store, and none had any tiles/stone that weren't perfect squares/rectangles.

joeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:24 PM   #2
zel

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via AIM to zel

Be sure you have an extremely strong subfloor. Have you considered slate or flagstone? I know you can get them in the 3/4" to 1" thickness. They wont be easy to install indoors, if at all. The surfaces are not real flat. You dont want them rocking on a high spot. Maybe put down a wet bed?

zel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zel View Post
Be sure you have an extremely strong subfloor. Have you considered slate or flagstone? I know you can get them in the 3/4" to 1" thickness. They wont be easy to install indoors, if at all. The surfaces are not real flat. You dont want them rocking on a high spot. Maybe put down a wet bed?
Ya that's the problem with those is that they aren't flat enough. The rocks I used on that chimeny wall outdoors had a perfectly flat back (with grooves to grip the cement). They may have been fake rocks, dunno. They were heavy.

I don't know what 'wet bed' means, but my basic idea was putting down tar paper/metal lath on the floor, and then cementing the pieces into place (the paper/metal keeping a barrier between the concrete slab and my floor so I could tear it up if necessary, and also putting some kind of thin barrier between the walls and the floor)
Old 04-11-2007, 01:38 PM   #4

Well, I've mapquest'd like 10 tile/stone places, and am gonna go scouting today. I'll post back pics if I find what I'm looking for.