Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2012, 10:34 AM   #1

Share |

do new cabinets get installed on top of existing laminate flooring

we have existing laminated flooring, we don't know the manufacturer or brand, but we are certain that it is a floating type laminate floor. We are planning on installing some cabinets (full height shelves and base cabinets - aka entertainment center). Our cabinet maker says that the cabinets would go on top of the laminate floor. Is this correct? It seems to me that this would limit or restrict the "floating" aspect of the floor. I think that we should cut out the existing laminate floor directly where the cabinets would sit, the intended base trim would hide the cut joint. Please help.
mjp3513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
DIY staff

That would be the safest (and correct) method----You might be O.K. on top--but you will be out a lot of money if the floor starts to buckle---I'd cut out the cabinet area if they are to be permanent built ins.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:41 AM   #3
Military Mom of 4

You are correct - it defeats the purpose of the floating floor method of install and it prevents expansion and contraction of the flooring that happens throughout the year.

Sales reps tend to give this advice - often . . . and it's bad advice. From what I've continually seen: Pros get into arguments with customers because pros themselves know the function of the float-floor and are the ones to deal with the aftermath of 'when the install doesn't go right '- tehy know best and they seem to mostly agree that float should not be under cabinets.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:49 AM   #4

To cut it out first buy and read the directions on the trasition stip as to how far back it needs to be to install it.
There has to be room left for the floor to move.
I'd use an ossilating saw to cut it out. It can make perfect 90 % cuts and can cut right up to the wall. And it's a safe tool to use.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:08 PM   #5
MarginallyQualified

I wouldn't have a laminate floor in a kitchen at all.
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #6

I have yet to see a floating laminate flooring that can handle the moisture inherant of a kitchen. If you were to drop a pot of water or something similar you would more than likely have a problem. My sister has laminate in her kitchen, her cat spilled the water dish ( a small one at that) and within a few hours the laminate had buckled up an inch. She had to have the 2 pieces replaced. Also depends on where you live and how much moisture your area experiences, along with how much climate control you have. The area under your existing kitchen floor is it a crawlspace or ????. Lots of factors determine the best choice to make in this situation. I have installed many and have never had a call back of any kind. Also the quality of flooring is to be considered as well. All in all, I tend to not installing laminate flooring in a kitchen. High end engineered flooring is better, but the best is a real wood flooring. Just MHO.
fixrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:31 PM   #7

I believe the OP has commented he is having cabinets for an entertainment center put in, so possibly not a kitchen. Regardless, I don't think he is looking to put a new floor in. The best installation process will be to cut the flooring, remove, install cabinets WITH an expansion gap around the perimeter, and then run some moulding over the gap. On the up side, if you do want to replace the floor in the future, you wont need to remove the cabinets. Pinching the floor under the cabinets would likely lead to buckling and distortion of the laminate floor.
Zanfirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:42 PM   #8

Thank you for all the input. To confirm, it is in our living room, the cabinets are more like an entertainment center, the floating floor is existing. It seem that the majority - or all of the input was for the removal of the floor. That was my first thought, so I will be doing some cutting of the flooring. I let you know how it turns out.
mjp3513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:51 AM   #9
Doer of Many Things

If it's really heavy and is intended to stay where you are putting it pretty much permanently you'd be safest to cut it out. If there is a probability of moving it in the future that could be trickier.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabinets, floating floor, laminate flooring