Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2011, 09:59 AM   #1

Share |

Do I need waterproof barrier OVER tile in basement before laminate?

We are getting ready to lay our first wood laminate floor in our basement. The basement is finished and currently has old, but in very good condition, what I would guess to be Linoleum-type 12 x 12" tiles in the bedroom we plan to lay Pergo-type laminate flooring.

My question is, do I need to lay a waterproof membrane over the tile before I lay the laminate? The tile is in perfect condition, so I see no point in taking it up, but not sure if that in itself is enough of a barrier for the laminate against the concrete floor. Thanks!
Mary T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:51 AM   #2
Doer of Many Things

Do I need waterproof barrier OVER tile in basement before laminate?

As long as it's flat you should be fine to lay right over it with the correct padding. Use a pad that has a built in moisture membrane with a tapes edge that you can just peel and stick together. If you laminate already has pad attached then lay a sheet of 6 mil poly sheet plastic on the floor first, taping any seams with laminate tape or tuck tape. Then you can lay the laminate with pad right over that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to poppameth For This Useful Post:
Mary T (06-19-2011)

Tags
basement, laminate, waterproof membrane