Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2013, 06:19 PM   #1

Share |

Do I need Ditra/uncoupling membrane?

After working my ass off finishing the basement over the last 8 months or so, I'm finally ready to get the tile down in the bathroom and install the toilet and vanity so I don't have to go upstairs to use the facilities

The entire basement has Barricade subfloor tiles and aside from the bathroom, laminate everywhere. I want to lay some tile down in the bathroom this weekend as there isn't much that needs to be done and I might have some time. My question is do I need to use an uncoupling membrane even though the Barricade subfloor tiles sit directly on the concrete slab? Ditra sold at the big box stores isn't cheap and I haven't really looked at a local shop for an alternative but I figured I'd ask here to see if I even need the stuff to begin with.

Thanks!

hpsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:52 PM   #2
Tileguy

Hi guy,

Maybe it's me, but looks like the manufacturer is going out of their way to not show detailed instructions on what types of flooring can be installed over Barricade.

I don't think ceramic tiles is on the agenda. I know Ditra would require sheets of plywood or OSB first, but since Barricade is floating, I think it's a no go.

Please link us to the data that specifies how to safely install ceramic to this product.

I saw Barricade installed in a client's basement a few months ago. Laminate for most of the floor except he was planning to install a vinyl tile for the bathroom floor. He mistakenly glued some 5.5 mm luaun to the Barricade thinking it would be a good base for the vinyl tiles. WRONG. I walked in the room and noticed the ply was buckled and needed to be removed, time for plan B.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #3

Well I know DriCore recommends to not use Ditra with their product, which is a very similar subfloor product. The actual area being done is maybe 40sq feet.
hpsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #4
Tileguy

Well....right.

Ceramic tiles in this type of installation goes direct to the slab or over Ditra or similar product. You'll have a drop of course.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote