Do Floor Installers Usually NOT Trim Doors? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 11:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Do Floor Installers Usually NOT Trim Doors?

Just spent $12,000 having all our hardwood floors replaced with 3/4" solid tigerwood. It looks great, the installation team was very professional.

However, we arrived back at the house to find all our doors off their hinges. The foreman said that they needed to be trimmed down before they went back on the hinges, and it was their policy to NOT trim doors.

This was puzzling as the salesman had said that the would trim the doors for us as the floor would be higher. I remember this vividly because we were prepared to go with thinner engineered wood so we wouldn't have to deal with trimming down the doors, and he assured us that they would take care of it.

In the end, we got into a shouting match with them insisting it wasn't in the contract for them to trim the doors down and that he never said they would do it in the first place. We countered with his verbal promise to do it, as well as just common sense that people would expect the doors to be trimmed and re-hung simply as part of the job.

So, is it standard practice for flooring installers to NOT trim doors?

Advertisement

Old 11-19-2009, 12:44 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

floor installers will normally trim the doors and door jams if needed. At least these issues would always be discussed at the proposal stage and detailed in the contract.

Advertisement

Old 11-19-2009, 12:57 PM   #3

Standard practice is to have the work outlined in a contract to try to avoid any surprises
Old 11-19-2009, 01:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Standard practice is to have the work outlined in a contract to try to avoid any surprises
I didn't ask for people to tell me what I should have done, I just asked what flooring contractors generally do when it comes to trimming doors.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:20 PM   #5

They do what is outlined in the contract - that IS standard practice
Old 11-19-2009, 01:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
They do what is outlined in the contract - that IS standard practice
Your point regarding contracts is valid, clearly established, and is understood.

Moving on, I simply want to know what flooring contractors, on the whole, do about trimming doors. Did it need to be specified, or did the contractor do it as a matter of course?

This could be answered by flooring contractors themselves, or people who have had their floors re-done.

Thank you.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:09 PM   #7
Remodeling Contractor

What you may have ran into is the difference between a true flooring pro and a flooring installer sent by the supplier of your flooring. many times they will leave out all the extra steps needed to keep the quoted price lower so you buy. Once you made the decision to use them it is easy to upsell.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:32 PM   #8
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

If the contract is to install the flooring and no mention is made to trimming the doors in the contract then you should not expect the doors to be trimmed. What Bob just explained in post 7 is dead on. This is why you need to make sure you compare apples to apples and have everything you expect to have done in writing. It doesn't matter what anybody here has to say about whether or not flooring guys trim the doors if it was not specified in your contract to be done.

If the foreman said it is not their policy to trim doors down then that is probably the truth. The guys doing the install are probably getting paid by the hour so I doubt that they would mind getting some extra time on their paycheck. Remember when dealing with salesman they usually over sell and under deliver. If you want it done, get it in writing. Otherwise do not assume it will get done.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:36 PM   #9
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,318

I live in Missouri and have worked al over the Missouri-Kansas area. In this part of the country, flooring installers do not usually trim doors. They are normally left for a carpenter to trim. Of course this may be entirely different in other parts of the country.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
I live in Missouri and have worked al over the Missouri-Kansas area. In this part of the country, flooring installers do not usually trim doors. They are normally left for a carpenter to trim. Of course this may be entirely different in other parts of the country.
Thank you, Sir -- your input is very helpful.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:42 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 10

When I was still in business I would trim the doors. Break out my jamb saw and go. I would also bid accordingly. A few of my jobs were going behind crews like yours who outbid me and doing exactly what you needed done.

A lousy job hangs around far longer than the sweetness of a low price lasts.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:51 AM   #12

I'm an independent flooring contractor in NE Missouri. I trim doors. If it's one or 2 doors, it's part of the original bid, I don't upcharge for it. If it's a house full of doors, I'm billing by the hour for the extra work. But seriously, how long does it take to trim a door? It's already off the hinges to lay the floor. 10 minutes tops/door.

IMO, your contractor just cost himself far more than he saved, cause how likely are you to refer him to your friends & family now?

We work primarily off of word of mouth advertising & I can't afford to leave a job with a client dissatisfied, especially over something as minor as trimming a few doors.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:35 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 628

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARI001 View Post
Remember when dealing with salesman they usually over sell and under deliver. If you want it done, get it in writing. Otherwise do not assume it will get done.
Salesmen are full of crap.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:36 AM   #14
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwheel45 View Post
I'm an independent flooring contractor in NE Missouri. I trim doors. If it's one or 2 doors, it's part of the original bid, I don't upcharge for it. If it's a house full of doors, I'm billing by the hour for the extra work. But seriously, how long does it take to trim a door? It's already off the hinges to lay the floor. 10 minutes tops/door.

IMO, your contractor just cost himself far more than he saved, cause how likely are you to refer him to your friends & family now?

We work primarily off of word of mouth advertising & I can't afford to leave a job with a client dissatisfied, especially over something as minor as trimming a few doors.
10 minutes seems low to me. To many factors to consider to throw out time estimates here. Some of those factors could be: type of door (Masonite, wood, luan, french), number of doors, how far and how many stories the doors have to be moved to get them to the cutting area, whether the door will require fine tuning via scribing after the initial trim. Then lets not forget time to remove and rehang the door (that alone is at least five minutes total).

Any time not accounted for is money lost. When you tag on operating overhead and lost profits that can really start to add up fast. The more people insist on hiring the lowest bidder with no regard towards comparing apples to apples bids the more of this kind of unprofessional work appear. In order to be the lowest bidder they must cut costs somewhere. The OP should consider himself lucky that he got away with it being something as minor as trimming the doors to size. Again get it in writing or do not assume it will be done.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARI001 View Post
10 minutes seems low to me. To many factors to consider to throw out time estimates here. Some of those factors could be: type of door (Masonite, wood, luan, french), number of doors, how far and how many stories the doors have to be moved to get them to the cutting area, whether the door will require fine tuning via scribing after the initial trim. Then lets not forget time to remove and rehang the door (that alone is at least five minutes total).

Any time not accounted for is money lost. When you tag on operating overhead and lost profits that can really start to add up fast. The more people insist on hiring the lowest bidder with no regard towards comparing apples to apples bids the more of this kind of unprofessional work appear. In order to be the lowest bidder they must cut costs somewhere. The OP should consider himself lucky that he got away with it being something as minor as trimming the doors to size. Again get it in writing or do not assume it will be done.
All I can say, is I'm pretty sure I wouldn't hire you as my general. The doors are already removed when I lay the floor. If it takes you longer than 10 minutes to lay a straight edge across a door, run a utility knife across said straight edge to scribe the cut line, then clamp the straight edge in place & run the saw across, should never take more than 10 minutes. That is, if you're a skilled professional. A do it yourselfer who doesn't make his living with his tools on a daily basis, yeah, it would probably take him longer.

Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
doors , hardwood , installation , trimming