DIY Epoxy Garage Floor - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

DIY Epoxy Garage Floor

Going to be a home owner for the first time next month. The garage has a new concrete slab in it and first thing I want to do is to epoxy coat the floor to protect it.

It is a one car garage and since the garage is fairly small I wonder if it is more cost effective to hire a professional to do it other than getting a kit from Ad Polymer (heard they sell good stuff somewhere). Their kit cost $372, wonder how much it will be to hire someone to do it. What are you thoughts?

Advertisement

Diy_Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,648

DIY Epoxy Garage Floor

Welcome Sandy....

I built a new garage about 4 years ago so I researched the same subject.......after reading all the horror stories and what all could go wrong....

My advice.....

Wait.

It's a very common thing for new home owners to want to do a bunch of stuff when they first move in. 99% of the time you find out after the fact that you should have waited. Once you move in, priorties change....likes/dislikes change....you need to live in the house for at least 6 months before you embark on projects.

Also.....when you first move in...the garage is almost always a 'stageing area' for your stuff....if you toss down epoxy, then you basically make the floor off limits for 1-2 weeks. Trying to use it before then will just damage it.

Save your money....your going to have plenty of other things that we can help you spend money on. For example....you need a good shop vac and a combination cordless power tool set....along with lawn tools...etc.

If you really want to protect that floor....then grab a gallon of concrete sealer and throw that down....it will help prevent the raw concrete from soaking up oil and paint. Then a few years from now you can look into doing that floor.

Advertisement

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:06 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 252

DIY Epoxy Garage Floor

I recently epoxied my laundry room floor with a do it yourself kit and it turned out great. However, I know that the stuff the pros use is much more durable. If the kit you are considering is $375, I would just hire a professional. If they don't need to do any grinding to prep the surface I would guess this to cost about $500-$1000 for a one car garage. Congrats on the new home purchase!
Awoodfloorguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
concrete , epoxy , garage