DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

DIY Chair mat from plywood and carpet tiles

24K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Heckerz 
#1 ·
I've got new plush carpet on a concrete slab in the basement. I've also got two computer desks with rolling chairs. I've tried several clear plastic chair mats to protect the carpet and allow the chairs to roll. They work, but eventually they crack, and the plastic is cold on bare feet. Besides, I don't like the look of these plastic mats, and I can never find the right size to fit the desks well.

I had an idea of cutting a custom shaped floor "mat" out of a 4x8 sheet of plywood, and then applying carpet tiles to that to make a foot-friendly and fashionable chair mat. I'm not sure how thick the plywood should be. I'm hoping to use 1/2 inch. And I'm not sure how to handle the edges to avoid splinters.
Can I just bevel the edge and wrap a couple inches of carpet tile around to the bottom of the plywood?

Any thoughts on this idea? Alternatives? I like playing with colors, and have already found several carpet tiles that would look well as a chair mat. I know the carpet tiles would be durable, but I'm not sure how the plywood would hold up.

#2 ·
I cant answer all your questions, but maybe this will help. In the drywall sections of Home Depot and Lowes, they have the end cap channel pieces for 1/2'' drywall. You could cover all the plywood edges with this to prevent splinters. That is assuming that it is a good idea to use 1/2" plywood to begin with. These "channels" are white, but obviously can be painted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.