DIY Chair Mat From Plywood And Carpet Tiles - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2007, 04:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

DIY Chair mat from plywood and carpet tiles

I've got new plush carpet on a concrete slab in the basement. I've also got two computer desks with rolling chairs. I've tried several clear plastic chair mats to protect the carpet and allow the chairs to roll. They work, but eventually they crack, and the plastic is cold on bare feet. Besides, I don't like the look of these plastic mats, and I can never find the right size to fit the desks well.

I had an idea of cutting a custom shaped floor "mat" out of a 4x8 sheet of plywood, and then applying carpet tiles to that to make a foot-friendly and fashionable chair mat. I'm not sure how thick the plywood should be. I'm hoping to use 1/2 inch. And I'm not sure how to handle the edges to avoid splinters.
Can I just bevel the edge and wrap a couple inches of carpet tile around to the bottom of the plywood?

Any thoughts on this idea? Alternatives? I like playing with colors, and have already found several carpet tiles that would look well as a chair mat. I know the carpet tiles would be durable, but I'm not sure how the plywood would hold up.

Advertisement

jbwaechter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 08:57 PM   #2
zel

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via AIM to zel

I cant answer all your questions, but maybe this will help. In the drywall sections of Home Depot and Lowes, they have the end cap channel pieces for 1/2'' drywall. You could cover all the plywood edges with this to prevent splinters. That is assuming that it is a good idea to use 1/2" plywood to begin with. These "channels" are white, but obviously can be painted.

Advertisement

zel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:57 AM   #3

Hi everyone,

Cheap and good quality chair mat and other desk accessory can be find at following url :
theelegantoffice.com

Thanks

Sandy
sandy100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:29 AM   #4

I use a company called Floortexs there very good with high quality mats. you can get floortex products from www.floor-protect.com ship to all over the world and there cheap pricing.

richard
Heckerz is offline   Reply With Quote