DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Ditra vs. Ditra XL

8K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Bud Cline 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I have a question about the use of Ditra vs. Ditra XL.

According to the specs (http://www.schluter.com/Schluter-DITRA-XL.aspx), Ditra XL is used for transitioning between subfloor and 3/4" hardwood flooring.

In my case, I need to do exactly this: a 3/4" transition from subfloor to hardwood flooring using 3/8" 8" porcelain tiles.

However, looking at the specs for Ditra XL, the thickness is 5/16" (vs. 1/8" for regular Ditra). With subfloor thinset, this thickness profile becomes @6/16" or 3/8".

With a 3/8" thick tile, this gives me no room for the thinset tile embed.

Even assuming no thickness for the subfloor thinset, I'm still looking at 1/16" for a tile embed. That's less than half of a typical tile embed (1/4" compressed to @1/8").

What am I missing here?

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Rich these same questions have been asked and answered at Floorstransformed. To keep posting the same thing on every website you can find is a waste of every one's time and energy. It's all the same people at all the websites. Go back to FT and continue there.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.