Ditra & Modified Thin-set?!?!? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-13-2008, 04:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Ditra & Modified Thin-set?!?!?

Hello again all!
So, on Monday I'm having porcelain tile laid over concrete using Dita XL & am purchasing the materials myself to keep costs down.
Today when I went to purchase thin-set the guy at the tile store told me that I needed unmodified thin-set AND latex modified thin-set. According to him I needed:
---Unmodified thin-set to secure the Ditra to the concrete.
---Latex modified thin-set to secure the tile to the Ditra.
I couldn't get through to Shluter or my installer to verify this & didn't have a copy of their manual but looking at Ditra's web-site now it appears this is wrong info.
What he sold me was Laticrete 317 Floor & Wall Thin-Set & Laticrete 253 Gold Thin-Set.
I am honestly so lost & confused at this point that I am just hoping Jaz or someone can let me know if what I have is usable or if I need to return some or all of it early Monday morning before the installer gets here.
Any help at all is greatly appreciated.
Thanks again.

Advertisement

eis61374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 05:07 PM   #2
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 526

He's wrong. They spec unmodified to secure it to concrete and unmodified to secure the tile to the Ditra. The only time you use a modified thinset with Ditra it to secure it to a wooden substrate. I've never heard of any issues resulting from using modified products, but it's safest to follow their recommendations.

Advertisement

poppameth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 05:58 PM   #3

Thanks much Poppa, I will be exchanging the modified Monday.
Best
Old 12-14-2008, 12:18 AM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,226

Poppa is correct of course and so you can use Laticrete 317 for both steps.

The store must not know much about Ditra and so they think you have to use modified thinset to install porcelain tiles. They would be right if you weren't using Ditra.

Is your tile setter up to speed on Ditra? I'm also wondering how you think you saved money by purchasing the setting materials yourself. If you did pay less, there's something wrong. Your tile setter is a tile setter right, not a handyman?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:12 AM   #5

Hey Jaz,
I guess the store does not know much about Ditra even though they sell it.

The installers are indeed tile installers & not just a handyman or superintendent & they are familiar with Ditra & have done installs with it before.

As for keeping costs down I figure it was cheaper to purchase the setting materials myself then to have the installer provide them as the installers mark-up of the price would be more than just paying the retail price for the materials. Was this incorrect?
Thanks much.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:43 PM   #6
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 526

That all depends on the installer. Some mark up materials, some don't. You'd have probably done fine either way.
poppameth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:38 PM   #7
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,226

When you supply materials, you are taking responsibility for them. If something is wrong, you have to correct the problem while the labor meter is running. Kinda like if someone sold you the wrong thin set mortar, or what if the dye lots of the tiles are mixed, or tiles have a visible defect? There is no way you can buy the materials cheaper than a tile setter.

When I managed a retail tile store, I insisted everyone read every label on every product so they actually knew what they were talking about. Things have changed.

Jaz

Advertisement

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote